Allegory Lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
But, then, comes the approach to the altar of God. David prays, "Purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean; wash me and I shall be whiter than snow." To understand this, we must understand one detail in connection with some of the sacrifices as they were performed by the priests of Israel. Whenever the priest had to sprinkle the blood of the sacrifice in the midst of the ritual of cleansing, he used what we would call a brush. Our brushes, today, of course, are machine-made, and all of the bristles are even. But the brush that was used in the ritual of the Jewish tabernacle was hand-made by the priest and consisted of three parts. The handle was a piece of cedar wood, the brush portion was a wisp of the hyssop plant, and the hyssop was tied to the handle by a piece of scarlet cord. The cedar was the highest tree, the hyssop was the lowliest shrub. It was as though the heavenly nature and the earthly nature of the Lord Jesus were combined in one, and the scarlet thread showed forth the salvation provided by His blood. The cedar wood had a fragrant odor and, of course, reminds us that "Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savor" (Ephesians 5.2) - Donald Grey Barnhouse on Romans 3.21)

I have no idea where he got that alleged description of the brush that was used, if that's what it was.

As I said, though - allegory lives...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back