All That is in God (Dolezal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Dolezal, James. All That is in God: Evangelical Theology and the Challenge of Classical Christian Theism. Grand Rapids, MI: Reformation Heritage Books, 2017.

All that is in God is God. That’s the argument of the book. It is short but rhetorically powerful. What Dolezal means is that by God’s simplicity, he is not composed of “parts,” whether physical or material. If what we call God’s attributes weren’t identical to the divine essence, then those attributes would constitute God. That means God would be God by virtue of something which itself isn’t God. That means God would get actuality from something that isn’t God. This is clearly impossible if we view God as the cause of all things. How could something caused by God constitute part of God?

That’s the argument of the book in a nutshell. From that powerful platform, Dolezal examines what he calls “theistic mutualism,” which can be anything from process theology to open theism to otherwise good Calvinists who deny God’s simplicity. Regardless of which variant is under discussion, Dolezal demonstrates that their lack of a robust grammar of divine simplicity ultimately cannot succeed.

Dolezal explores the standard problems with divine simplicity. We’ll look at one. Simplicity says that God is his attributes. By contrast, if I say “James is wise and powerful,” I have stated a subject with two predicates. If I say “God is wise and powerful,” I have not stated two separate things about God. God’s attributes do not add up to be God. He is not the sum of his parts. The difficulty is that if God is identical with his attributes, then each attribute is identical to each other. That seems counterintuitive. However, denying this claim ultimately reduces to the unacceptable conclusion that God is composed of parts (e.g., justice, love, etc). How do we solve this problem? We have to commit ourselves to some view of analogical language. We are discussing a reality that far transcends human categories, but is nonetheless analogical to them.

This book functions as a theological grammar. It is definitely recommended reading not only for the doctrine of God, but also for theological method.

I'm writing a paper on simplicity for seminary and All that is in God has been invaluable.

Thanks for reviewing our book, brother. I am glad you found it useful.

I am pushing for Dolezal to write another book for us. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what they would like to see him write about?

I am pushing for Dolezal to write another book for us. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what they would like to see him write about?

Eternal generation? If he wants to be ambitious, then he could do something on the Filioque.

I would like to see him flesh out his stuff on "God as Eternal Creator." That's the only chapter I really had difficulty with.

I want to echo what has already been said. This was a really helpful book with a lot to think about. Very glad I got round to reading it.

For what it is worth, I would like to second the suggestion of Eternal Generation

Eternal generation? If he wants to be ambitious, then he could do something on the Filioque.

I would like to see him flesh out his stuff on "God as Eternal Creator." That's the only chapter I really had difficulty with.
Eternal Generation was my initial suggestion as well.

I am going to get him to write a blog article. Maybe he can elaborate on it there.

I would read anything by Dolezal. I have loved his talks on YouTube and I learn a massive amount from him in a very short time. He is deep, concise, brilliant, and interesting to listen to as a speaker. A very gifted man.

How do we solve this problem? We have to commit ourselves to some view of analogical language. We are discussing a reality that far transcends human categories, but is nonetheless analogical to them.

This book functions as a theological grammar. It is definitely recommended reading not only for the doctrine of God, but also for theological method.

What analogical view does he espouse? In other words, is there more than one analogical view? in my opinion there is only one view which should be understood with the understanding that God is wholly other than man in His divine essence.

If any of you want a quick overview of the two subjects of Dolezal's books, here are two talks he gave recently:

Divine Simplicity -

God Without Passions -

What analogical view does he espouse? In other words, is there more than one analogical view? in my opinion there is only one view which should be understood with the understanding that God is wholly other than man in His divine essence.

Since he isn't a Barthian, you won't hear him say God is wholly other. Analogical reasoning, which is the classical Christian position, says that are concepts can approach God's concepts but are not equivocal with them.

I am not sure what "Wholly Other" in God's essence means. Either something is in God's essence or it isn't. Even those like Aquinas who hold to a chain of being ontology don't say we are "in" God's essence.

Usually when Neo Orthodox say God is wholly other, they mean in our knowledge of him.

I am not sure what "Wholly Other" in God's essence means.

God being "wholly other" than man is of course redundant. If God is not like man He is "other". :) It is sad Barth is associated with the words wholly other to explain God because that is orthodox.

Question: If God is to be viewed as Eternal Creator, does not this obligate God to create, whereas He was free to create or not create?

Question: If God is to be viewed as Eternal Creator, does not this obligate God to create, whereas He was free to create or not create?

I take it this is to me? :) Now if you ask this question knowing God is outside of time, then you have your answer. :)

God being "wholly other" than man is of course redundant. If God is not like man He is "other". :) It is sad Barth is associated with the words wholly other to explain God because that is orthodox.

Normally, the phrase is associated with epistemology, not metaphysics. Of course God is other than man. No one denies that. But when you apply "Wholly Other" to epistemology, then problems arise.

There are three types of knowledge
Equivocal
Analogical
Univocal.

Which do you hold?

Could you say that the question can be distilled down to:

"Does God's nature obligate Him to act in certain ways?"

Short answer: Kind of. Let's rephrase the answer. God's nature doesn't stand outside God obligating God to act in certain ways. It's more along the lines that God will always act consistently with who he is.

Short answer: Kind of. Let's rephrase the answer. God's nature doesn't stand outside God obligating God to act in certain ways. It's more along the lines that God will always act consistently with who he is.
If God is the Eternal Creator then it appears that He is obligated to create, for how can His nature be that of a Creator if He creates nothing? But God was under no obligation to create.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back