Alexandra McLaren and G Campbell Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip P Sivyer

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings Brethren!

I have recently read in a few places that both Alexander Mclaren and G Campbell Morgan were arminian. Does anyone know of any quotes or books of theirs that confirm this? Did any of them address the doctrine of election directly.

God bless,

- Philip

Last edited:
Greetings Brethren!

I have recently read in a few places that both Alexandra Mclaren and G Campbell Morgan were arminian. Does anyone know of any quotes or books of theirs that confirm this? Did any of them address the doctrine of election directly.

God bless,

- Philip
They were both gifted and used by the Lord.

I think it is well known that G. Campbell Morgan over the years moved from being dispensational to covenantal. I thought I heard that his appreciation for the sovereignty of God increased over the years.

There was an interview on youtube, years ago, with D.Marytn Lloyd-Jones where he was asked if it was difficult working with G.Campbell Morgan because he was an Arminian. MLJ replied that Morgan was a good man of God, or something to that effect. The particular interview has apparently been edited to remove that portion.
As for Alexander Macleran, in his 'Expositions Of Holy Scripture', in the Gospel of John, pages 184 & 185 he further expounds on John 3:16 saying,
"There is no need for these interposed clauses God so loved the world that everybody will got to heaven'--- that is the gospel of a great many of you ; and it is the gospel of a great many wise and learned people. But it is not John's Gospel, and it is not Christ's Gospel. The beginning and the end of that text cannot be buckled up together in that rough and ready fashion. They have to be linked by a chain ; God forges the one, and we have to forge the other. 'God so loved the world that He gave' ---- then He has done His work 'That whosoever believeth---- that is your work. And it is in vain that God forges His link, unless you will forge yours and link it up to His. 'God so loved the world,' that is step number one in the process ; 'that He gave,' that is step number two ; and then there comes another 'that' -----'that whosoever believeth,' that is step number three ; and they are all needed before you come to number four, which is the landing-place and not a step --- 'should not perish, but have everlasting life.'
Sounds Arminian to me. Italics and punctuation as found in the text of the Baker edition. I do agree that both G. Campbell Morgan and Alexander Maclaren were dedicated and mightily used of God.

I think it is well known that G. Campbell Morgan over the years moved from being dispensational to covenantal. I thought I heard that his appreciation for the sovereignty of God increased over the years.
There have been some arminians who were gifted authors, as to me AW Tozier was also such a person.

According to Iain Murray's 2 vol biography of Martyn Lloyd-Jones he remained Arminian and probably Dispensational

Very intriguing. It seems that there are very few 'reformed' men who hold to an arminian position. It would have been interesting to see what these two had to say about Calvinism directly, but I cannot seem to find anything.

According to Iain Murray's 2 vol biography of Martyn Lloyd-Jones he remained Arminian and probably Dispensational

My understanding is that he abandoned dispensationalism later on. (I've seen this cited in several places through the years, although I can't remember where.) If so, I think that would have been before MLJ came to Westminster Chapel.

My understanding is that he abandoned dispensationalism later on. (I've seen this cited in several places through the years, although I can't remember where.) If so, I think that would have been before MLJ came to to Westminster Chapel.

Yes, I believe that is correct.

My understanding is that he abandoned dispensationalism later on. (I've seen this cited in several places through the years, although I can't remember where.) If so, I think that would have been before MLJ came to Westminster Chapel.
What is interesting is that the heretic Bishop Paulk would always claim that Dr Lloyd-Jones knew of the Kingdom here upon the earth, but took the revelation of Kingdom Now doctrines to have the power to live in it right.

It seems that there are very few 'reformed' men who hold to an arminian position.
Unless I am missing a point implied by the quotes around "reformed," this seems like a statement of the obvious. In fact, I think it safe to say that there are no reformed men who hold to an Arminian position - else they would be Arminian and, therefore, not Reformed!

Unless I am missing a point implied by the quotes around "reformed," this seems like a statement of the obvious. In fact, I think it safe to say that there are no reformed men who hold to an Arminian position - else they would be Arminian and, therefore, not Reformed!
Yes, as their Reformed sotierology views would be at odds with those holding to Arninians viewpoints.

Perhaps 'Evangelical' would have been a better word. What I meant was an arminian who agrees with the everything in the Confessions of Faith except the Calvinistic parts. When looking back at the great theologians, they all seem to be Calvinist, which says something about arminianism...

Campbell Morgan had a very high view of scripture and Dr Lloyd-Jones high view of scripture appealed to Morgan. I believe this was a key reason that Morgan invited Lloyd-Jones to the pulpit at Westminster Chapel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back