Advanced Historical Theology - New Section

Discussion in 'A Puritan's Mind Updates' started by C. Matthew McMahon, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bladestunner316

Bladestunner316 Puritan Board Doctor

wrote this all ur self?

2. cupotea

cupotea Puritan Board Junior

Just glancing through and I saw this in the section on the English Reformation:

Is that accurate? I thought the issue was his desire for a divorce from Catherine of Aragon, not Anne Boleyn. He just had Boleyn executed to marry Jane Seymour. Boleyn was executed in 1536, 2 years after the Act of Supremacy.

Catherine died in 1537 of 'a broken heart' at Kimbolton castle.

[Edited on 12-14-2004 by Steadfast]

3. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

I believe what happened was that King Henry VIII divorced Catherine of Aragorn in order to marry Anne Boleyn. A series of events paved the way for Henry and Anne to get married secretly in 1533, in which year the Pope excommunicated the King of England. The Act of Supremacy in 1534 officially made Henry the head of the Church of England. Two years later, Anne was executed.

From the Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition, 2001:

4. This is after what you are thinking, in relation to Anne and the Articles themsevles, which were later. You are right about his desire to divorce Catherine though, but that was earlier. See the church history section of the site for that whole deal.

[Edited on 12-14-2004 by webmaster]

5. Uh huh. :bigsmile: In my spare time. :lol:

6. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator Staff Member

Thank you so very much Matthew. I've been listening to some mp3 lectures for SermonAudio by Pastor Michael Phillips. He has a wonderful series on church history, (from a Baptist slant) and I've been enjoying in immensely.

It whetted my appetite for more and your overview is just the perfect next step. I don't know how you do it. You are following in John Owen's footsteps who "wrote more than most men can read".

Bless you.

7. maxdetail -

I love to write, and I love Christ, and I love theology. Mix those together and its pure adrenaline. I wish I could do it full time, but I haven't run into Bruce Wayne as of late to ask him for a grant. :lol: Maybe there is a full time job out there later on that will give me the time to write more.

Just think - I have a computer, John Owen had a quill pen. It is astounding that he wrote so much.

8. Bladestunner316

9. Nathan,

Be careful with guys like that. He defends chasrismania (even in his section on Montanism) and completely misunderstadn Sola Scriptura, (those are just two spots I checked.)

No bubble burst at all. What we need is more accurate information to be posted on the web. Dr. Storm seems like he is using historical theology to plug his own views (its a bit slanted).

I think what happens is that people have a superficial view of it and then read thier own ideas into the histroy of theology. Which is unfortuately, because people who read it think it is the truth.

Just be careful on what you read and be sure they can be trusted.

10. Bladestunner316

I havent read it yet ;)

Just thoght I would bring it up since it was on monergism.

11. Monergism is great.
    Again, you just want to be careful of anything you read.

12. Irishcat922

Irishcat922 Puritan Board Sophomore

Do you have anything, or know of anything, Matt on the History of Revivalism. I have read several pieces lately blaming Puritanism for the rise of Revivalism. I tend to disagree with this view, but I would like to read something more thorough on it. The specific references have been to the N.E. Puritans.

13. I don't have a whole lot.

Schenck's book is good and Iain Murray's book on Revivalism is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.