Adrenaline addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirian

Puritan Board Sophomore
Greetings everyone,

Does anyone have any resources on helping someone with an adrenaline addiction?

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm not even sure what "adrenaline addiction" is. Do you mean somebody that constantly seeks thrills like rock climbing, high-speed motorcycle riding, and just generally daredevil things?

It can be those things, but it also encompasses always seeking out a crisis to feed the need for an adrenaline rush.

Lift weights and sky dive. Become an aerobatic pilot. Go to the mission field among hostile natives. Do MMA and punch people and get punched. Go fight in a war. Do extreme hiking for weeks in the jungle and live off the land. Some people are just made different and reading won't help. You need activities. Get yourself almost killed a few times. Then at 47 you will mellow out if you get that far. If you don't get that far...then you won't be worried about it for long.

There are good causes that require people of your temperment (how do I spell it). ...I have a friend looking for armed guards who can fight to guard food aid camps in south Sudan. Islamist groups come and raid and need to be killed. You might get to shoot some Al-Shebabs. That would give me quite a rush and I almost signed up but have projects to manage in the jungle and cannot be distracted bc our types stink at admin usually so I need to focus.

Think of your personality not as a weakness but as a STRENGTH! Channel it for good.

Last edited:
When I was younger I was like that and joined the Navy. I worked on aircraft. I worked the flight line signalling P-3 Orions that had four propellers that measured 13 1/2 feet. If that wasn't enough. One of my duty stations was with an A-6 Intruder unit. I spent some time on an aircraft carrier, the USS Forrestal.

Now I am old and mellow.

One of my duty stations was with an A-6 Intruder unit. I spent some time on an aircraft carrier, the USS Forrestal.

So you're saying working around an A-6 can be dangerous, eh..?

PS: The man is said to have survived with relatively minor injuries, as his helmet prevented him from making direct contact with the turbofan blades. But talk about adrenaline...

Last edited:
Greetings everyone,

Cheers,
Matt
I’m guessing this issue has devolved into sinful patterns that are related to other addictions like alcohol, gambling, gaming, drugs, kleptomania (by Wynona Rider and other rich people who don’t need to steal socks to get by), and so on. Dopamine is an necessary but dangerous animal. Reckless “thrill seeking” is another colloquial term. Dove tailing on Perg, there are constructive uses for these inclinations but I doubt that is where this person is at this time. My prayers for the afflicted in this case.

Edit: I forgot to mention a work by my avatar, “Expulsive Power of a New Affection”.

Last edited:
So you're saying working around an A-6 can be dangerous, eh..?

PS: The man is said to have survived with relatively minor injuries, as his helmet prevented him from making direct contact with the turbofan blades. But talk about adrenaline...
That did happen to one of my unit's sailors. His helmet saved him. I wonder if that footage was my squadron.

I’m guessing this issue has devolved into sinful pattern that is related to other addictions like alcohol, gambling, gaming, drugs, kleptomania (by Wynona Rider and other rich people who don’t need to steal socks to get) by, and so on. Dopamine is an necessary but dangerous animal. Reckless “thrill seeking” is another colloquial term. Dove tailing on Perg, there are constructive uses for these inclinations but I doubt that is where this person is at this time. My prayers for the afflicted in this case.

Edit: I forgot to mention a work by my avatar, “Expulsive Power of a New Affection”.

Yes, thank you for seeing the question behind the question. Secular sources always point to "see a therapist". I was hoping to find a Christ-centric work that might talk about it specifically. Perhaps I need to consider it more from a generalised addiction perspective.

Thanks for your prayers for this person.

Matt

Yes, thank you for seeing the question behind the question. Secular sources always point to "see a therapist". I was hoping to find a Christ-centric work that might talk about it specifically. Perhaps I need to consider it more from a generalised addiction perspective.

Thanks for your prayers for this person.

Matt
Reading a book won't help fully. It is only the beginning of help. Why do people always ask, "What do I read to cure this problem?" instead of "What do I do?" - this seems a weakness in the Reformed world. I say go start MMA and jui jitsu. Powerlift. Go do some extreme sports. Channel it and climb mountains.

Reading a book won't help fully. It is only the beginning of help. Why do people always ask, "What do I read to cure this problem?" instead of "What do I do?" - this seems a weakness in the Reformed world. I say go start MMA and jui jitsu. Powerlift. Go do some extreme sports. Channel it and climb mountains.

The person in question is an older lady who seeks out crisis and crisis and things that make her fearful to get an adrenaline rush. I don't think she's up to those things you mention...

The person in question is an older lady who seeks out crisis and crisis and things that make her fearful to get an adrenaline rush. I don't think she's up to those things you mention...
She is not an adrenaline junkie then. She is histrionic or borderline personality disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back