Acts of heroism and the image of God within man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Thinking through a topic....

God has not left us without witness. We see the Creation and know there is a Creator.

Also, mankind often does certain things due to the image of God within him (though horribly defaced) that also serve as reminders of Himself.

Even pagan mothers often act selflessly for their children and go without so their kids can eat. And some people sacrifice their own lives to save others (running into burning buildings, jumping on grenades, swimming out in perilous water to save others).

These (often spontaneous) actions seem to spring out of God's image and design in mankind. He is designed and created in a way that reflects God's nature and so these heroic acts are also witnesses to the existence of God. Man is created in such a way that he does heroic acts sometimes.

What are your thoughts?

You made me think of a secular study done by a LtCol Grossman, spanning decades, on the subject of heroism, which he published in a book entitled On Killing, and which he turned into a training program for the Army called The Battlefield Mind. Per his research, out of 100 people, there are two who run "towards the guns." Of the two, one is a wolf, who is running to join in the melee; the other is the sheepdog, who is running to help - he is often what we call the hero. Grossman is a professing Christian, I think of Lutheran heritage I believe. I had a long discussion with him, and got my copies of his books signed in the process. I believe he would agree that man is created with the capacity for heroism, but only 1 in 100 ever respond to the call so to speak. Another perverts that capacity into great wickedness, but the vast majority simply suppress that aspect of the imago dei ... looking to government, police officers, the hired help, to be heroic.

My thought is that we see outward acts of heroism, but it is God who judges the heart. I have to remind myself that anything done outside of true faith is an act of selfishness. Many times I do acts of good and bad works without thinking of the motivation of Who I am primarily directing my actions toward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back