Acts 2:37-39 and Paedobaptism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just watched this yesterday. James White makes an excellent case, I think.
Anti-Baptists and Citing Only Half of Acts 2:39 - YouTube

(The reason that it refers to anti-baptists is because he was talking about people who would refuse fellowship with him over this topic, not paedobaptists in general.

Interestingly, Form Number 1 of the Baptism of Infants taken from the Psalter Hymnal (1976) states:

And although our children do not understand these things, we may not therefore exclude them from baptism, since they are without their knowledge partakers of the condemnation in Adam, and so again are received unto grace in Christ; as God speaks unto Abraham, the father of all believers, and therefore also to us and our children, saying: "I will establish my covenant between me and you and your seed after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto you and to your seed after you" (Gen. 17.7). This also Peter testifies with these words: "For to you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him" (Acts 2.39).

Note that all of Acts 2:39 is quoted.

- And I will establish my covenant between me and you (Gen. 17:7)
- For the promise is for you (Acts 2:39)

- And I will establish my covenant between me... and your offspring (Gen. 17:7)
- For the promise is for... your children (Acts 2:39)

- I have made you the father of a multitude of nations (Gen. 17:5)
- For the promise is for... all who are far off (Acts 2:39)

- everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself (Acts 2:39)
- If "calls" means "effectual calling", then all who were and are baptized under the Baptist scheme are unmistakably saved. The calling is a call; its just not an effectual call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back