Accountability Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.L. Allen

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm not sure if this is in the right place. Please feel free to move it.

My question is regarding accountability software and filtering/blocking. I think I've narrowed it down to Ever Accountable and Accountable2You. I think these only do accountability. If so, what blocks/filters do you recommend? Does anyone have any experience with these software? It'll be just for a laptop that my kids and I share.

We use Open DNS to filter. It is only moderately effective. It will block many obvious things, but is not smart enough to catch other stuff. I think I remember that when we first set it up we could have chosen more rigorous settings, but we feared being locked out of sites we actually wanted to visit.

I find accountability software to be more effective and powerful. We use Covenant Eyes. It is sometimes a pain because you have a snoopy program constantly running, but it is well worth it overall, and customer support is excellent whenever it acts up. When my wife and I have tested it, we've found it to be much harder to fool than the filter is. I also get the amusement of being notified every time my wife shops for underwear online.

Covenant Eyes seems to be a fantastic program. However, It's beyond my price point. I know they have features that give them an edge, but my kids are still really young and would be using it in a public place (our living room) and I'm a technology dope.

We use Open DNS to filter. It is only moderately effective. It will block many obvious things, but is not smart enough to catch other stuff. I think I remember that when we first set it up we could have chosen more rigorous settings, but we feared being locked out of sites we actually wanted to visit.

I find accountability software to be more effective and powerful. We use Covenant Eyes. It is sometimes a pain because you have a snoopy program constantly running, but it is well worth it overall, and customer support is excellent whenever it acts up. When my wife and I have tested it, we've found it to be much harder to fool than the filter is. I also get the amusement of being notified every time my wife shops for underwear online.

I kept getting red-flagged for witchcraft or the occult for looking up tribal websites about animism and witch-doctors.

My question is regarding accountability software and filtering/blocking. I think I've narrowed it down to Ever Accountable and Accountable2You. I think these only do accountability. If so, what blocks/filters do you recommend? Does anyone have any experience with these software? It'll be just for a laptop that my kids and I share.
One that worked well for us was K 9

I often recommend Circle.

For anyone interested,

I went with Ever Accountable. I was leaning towards Accountable2You (they seem to slightly edge out Ever Accountable based on ratings, but they offer basically the same features). However, when I emailed a series of questions (identical) to both support emails, Ever Accountable answered the most clearly and straight forward. It really came down to cost as well. They offered 25% off the total annual price after the 14 day free trial.

when I emailed a series of questions (identical) to both support emails, Ever Accountable answered the most clearly and straight forward.

Customer service is one of the main ways such products should be differentiated, so it's good to get a report. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back