Abide In My Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynteriii

Puritan Board Freshman
[BIBLE]John 8:31-38[/BIBLE]

I'm going to be preaching on this text in the near future and I'm for some reason getting I'm getting a funny feeling.

I mean, It looks like the beginning of the text is that abiding in Christ's word is evidence and true discipleship as well give you the knowledge of the truth that sets us free from the bondage of sin. This is the heart of my sermon, that true disciples continually hold everything under the lens of Scripture and that we know the only truth that save us Jesus Christ.

I can imagine people saying:

"What about those who never heard of Christ? Those "African Bushmen" that have never seen a Christian missionary nor heard the gospel can be saved by just recognizing that their is a God."

"Your preaching salvation by works!"

The last one is the one I am most worried about. I think some pastors shy away from even mentioning the fact that we are to produce fruit. I don't know how to word it without saying that "Does not genuine salvation produce good works not a result of some?" then we study the book of James.

Please pray for me, I feel like I am preparing for battle.

The key word here in this passage is "abide" which essentially means "continue." In verse 31, we see that those who "continue" in the Word of God are disciples indeed. And then in verse 34, Jesus says that everyone who "commits" a sin is a slave of sin indeed. The word that is here translated "commits" is poieo, which can also be translated as "abide" or "continue." And finally we see in verse 35 that Jesus tells us that a slave does not "remain" in the house forever, only a son does. This is again the same word that was used in verse 31, "abide" or "continue." So in essence, Jesus is saying, If you "continue" in my word and obey my commands, you are my disciples indeed. But if you instead "continue" in sin and refuse to turn away from fleshly lusts, then you are in fact a slave of sin, and a slave does not "continue" in the house of the master forever. One day this world will pass away and only those who are true disciples will see heaven, the rest will perish in hell. I hope this helps.

I have a couple points on "abide":

A working knowledge knowledge of God's word. How can we abide that which we have no knowledge off?

To be a true disciple, one must abide. I think this is important to realize. There are many who call themselves Christians but do not abide in His word. In fact, they probably would find the God of the Bible offensive and not the God they worship! They hold on to an emotional response to a sermon they heard years ago to be the mark of a Christian disciple. The problem is that if they knowingly (perhaps unknowingly, still studying this fervently) do not abide in His word, they are not a disciple. Christians hold firm to the God's Word to the point of death for many since the beginning of His utterance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back