A Typographical Error in the CSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I believe I've found a possible typographical error in the CSB translation at 2 Chronicles 2.

2 Chronicles 2.2 states that, in preparing to build the Temple, Solomon assigned "3,600 [men] as supervisors" over the workmen. However, in verse 18, the text states that he assigned "36,000 supervisors."

I checked the NASB, the NKJV, and the ESV at 2 Chronicles 2, and all three of those translations agree on the figure 3,600 in both verse 2 and verse 18, and there are no notes in any of those translations pointing out manuscript differences that could account for the difference between 3,600 and 36,000. So, it appears to be a typo.

Since it was printed in China, I guess we'll never know how it happened. Heh.

For what it's worth, my Kindle version of the CSB (which I got in 2017 and hasn't been updated since) has 3,600 in both locations. So sounds like a typo with that particular printing.

For what it's worth, my Kindle version of the CSB (which I got in 2017 and hasn't been updated since) has 3,600 in both locations. So sounds like a typo with that particular printing.

I have the hardback edition ($5.99!) - a first printing from 2017.

Hi Richard,
It is printed correctly in my more recent copy, and in my Bibleworks program. So you may have a rare first edition that could prove to be very valuable in years to come...
I'm sorry for the misprint, but frankly you should be congratulated for finding the error. I doubt many people would notice.

My physical copy is a second printing, still from 2017. It says 36,000 in verse 18. So it appears the error survived at least two printings. I'm surprised, given how carefully Bibles tend to be proofed and how vocal readers are likely to be if they spot an error in one. Perhaps 2 Chronicles is not read as often, or as carefully, as other parts of the Bible.

I'm surprised, given how carefully Bibles tend to be proofed and how vocal readers are likely to be if they spot an error in one.
So am I.

I remember the first time my wife read the ESV. She told me she was upset because in Nehemiah 3:20 they left out that Baruch the son of Zabbai was earnestly repairing the section. The ESV only said he was repairing it.

She even wrote the publisher about that and a few other things. I don't recall the response.

People read these things! (Or one would think they do).

My physical copy is a second printing, still from 2017. It says 36,000 in verse 18. So it appears the error survived at least two printings. I'm surprised, given how carefully Bibles tend to be proofed and how vocal readers are likely to be if they spot an error in one. Perhaps 2 Chronicles is not read as often, or as carefully, as other parts of the Bible.

So, maybe both our physical CSBs will be worth BILLIONS one day! LOL

I'm surprised, given how carefully Bibles tend to be proofed and how vocal readers are likely to be if they spot an error in one.

Worse mistakes have been made...

884.jpg

Not to mention the "Wife Beater Bible" of 1551 that had this helpful bit of counsel for husbands in the margin of 1 Peter 3:7:

“And if she be not obediente and healpful unto hym, endevoureth to beate the fere of God into her heade, that thereby she may be compelled to learne her dutye and do it.”

Ah, you just gotta love the good ol' days.

In an edition of the Bible printed during the reign of Charles I, Psalm 14:1 reads, “The fool hath said in his heart, there is a God” instead of “no God.” The printers were fined £3000 for their mistake and all copies were ordered to be destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back