A Solution to the Olivet Discourse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex the Less

Puritan Board Freshman
The prophetic part of the Olivet Discourse is found in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. From these accounts, it is clear that Matthew agrees with Mark in substance. Luke’s account is the one which gives supplementary material that helps us decipher the various elements. Jesus used the phrase “pregnant women and nursing mothers” twice in giving this discourse to His disciples. In this view, neither Matthew or Luke are complete in reproducing fully what Jesus said to His disciples.

Luke 21.20-24 records the first use of the phrase (vs. 23) referring to the distress of the fall of Jerusalem during the Jewish Revolt of 66-70 C.E. This is clearly indicated by vs. 24: They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

The second usage of “pregnant women and nursing mothers” is given in Matthew and Mark and refers to the time of the “end” of the age. This key phrase is often conflated by students of scripture. Recognizing its two usages, referring to both 70 C.E. and the consummation of the age, will clarify about when the various events transpire.

Why? What is wrong with C.E.?
"Common Era" is a term preferred and pushed by those who want to erase the West's distinctive Christian identity. We have a choice between a term that affirms the centrality of Christ's incarnation to human history or a term that obfuscates it. I'm not sure why any Christian would choose the latter.

Anyway, do you think my solution clarifies the discourse? How do you look at it?
I do. You've summed up my own view of the matter.

Last edited:
"Common Era" is a term preferred and pushed by those who want to erase the West's distinctive Christian identity. We have a choice between a term that affirms the centrality of Christ's incarnation to human history or a term that obfuscates it. I'm not sure why any Christian would choose the latter.

I often have thought that it is no small proof of the centrality of Jesus, the Savior of the world, that time itself on the Earth is divided by the greatest event in the history of the World. Time Before Christ, and, anno domini -- The Year of the Lord. Praise the Lord for the centrality of the Savior who divides, the Chronos of the World. He is Lord, even of time and history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back