A Savvy Watchman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
I believe there is a coming storm that we all need to be ready for. The world has deteriorated so quickly. It seems like every demon in Hell has been turned loose. We cannot be deceived and we can't be fooled. We need to get ready and be prepared. We are living in a cancel culture that wants to destroy Christian organizations. They want us to shut our mouths. They don't want to hear from us.​
Now, if you don't preach the Gospel, you don't have anything to worry about. If you're not going to talk about sin, you don't have anything to worry about. But if you're going to try to preach and proclaim the Gospel, they're going to try to shut you up.​
When you try to tell a person they are a sinner, it's offensive. When you tell someone that Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life, and there is no way to heaven or God except through Him, you offend people. But just tell it the way it is. Preach—don't back up. Don't make excuses. We cannot back up. We can't retreat. Don't apologize for the Gospel—just declare it, just preach it.​
Just don't sit there on your hands and let the storm hit. And then have this look on your face like I didn't know that was coming. I didn't see that coming. You'd better see it coming. The world hates us, and Jesus told us the world hated me first and they're going to hate you. If you stand for Christ, the world hates you.​
If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. [John 15:18, 19]​
Franklin Graham, National Religious Broadcasters convention, May 22, 2023​

This often intrigues me, that is posts like this coming from a relatively unpersecuted population. What I mean is the thought that all of a sudden "every demon in Hell has been unleashed." Has not some Christians, in every generation dealt with this? I think of the Huguenots and the Puritans who were murdered, imprisoned, casted out of their homes, counties, and pulpits. And it seems like many contemporary American speakers act as if being called mean names or getting scoffed at is Abbadons greatest assault. Mr. Graham will go back to the creature comforts of multi-millionairism while saints all over the world are watching their families murdered in front of them, being dismembered, being thrown in jail without trial, being beheaded, being stoned to death, and the list can go on; all in the name of not bending or recanting. Any Pastor in America who would cave to the extremely light persecution they may ever face in this nation; which is most likely limited to verbal assaults, public disdain, or a couple weeks in the county jail should be considered the greatest of cowards. And on that day, the blood of the unknown saints who had much less, but gave much more, will testify against them.

If our nation produces the bravest and best prepared military in the world by boot camps and drill instructors; how much braver and ferocious should that army be whose teacher is the Spirit and general is God? The best the world can recompense for war is the Medal of Honor, yet for the divine soldier there is place reserved for them in Heaven.

Last edited:
This often intrigues me, that is posts like this coming from a relatively unpersecuted population. What I mean is the thought that all of a sudden "every demon in Hell has been unleashed." Has not some Christians, in every generation dealt with this? I think of the Huguenots and the Puritans who were murdered, imprisoned, casted out of their homes, counties, and pulpits. And it seems like many contemporary American speakers act as if being called mean names or getting scoffed at is Abbadons greatest assault. Mr. Graham will go back to the creature comforts of multi-millionairism while saints all over the world are watching their families murdered in front of them, being dismembered, being thrown in jail without trial, being beheaded, being stoned to death, and the list can go on; all in the name of not bending or recanting. Any Pastor in America who would cave to the extremely light persecution they may ever face in this nation; which is most likely limited to verbal assaults, public disdain, or a couple weeks in the county jail should be considered the greatest of cowards. And on that day, the blood of the unknown saints who had much less, but gave much more, will testify against them.

If our nation produces the bravest and best prepared military in the world by boot camps and drill instructors; how much braver and ferocious should that army be whose teacher is the Spirit and general is God? The best the world can recompense for war is the Medal of Honor, yet for the divine soldier there is place reserved for them in Heaven.

He gave the context in which his remarks apply, which is an undeniable sea-change in what the church in America increasingly faces. That seems undeniable. It was a warning and exhortation, not a complaint. What specifically did he say that you think is out of place or unwarranted?

He gave the context in which his remarks apply, which is an undeniable sea-change in what the church in America increasingly faces. That's seems undeniable. It was a warning and exhortation, not a complaint. What specifically did he say that you think is out of place or unwarranted?
I dont think anything is out of place, that is why I didnt disagree, just mentioned it intrigued me. Like how can you be conversant in the Pauline epistles and not know what you signed up for? Especially since saints all over the world are daily facing worse. We think it pivotal that somehow we wont be liked, yet Jesus warns all who strive for righteousness will be persecuted. Thats basic Christianity, not contemporary sin. Owell, maybe I shouldnt have commented, but this stuff is taught in most churches every Sunday. John 1:5

I agree with what Phil said. I also agree that we in the west have had a comparatively little persecution. But whatever it is we are experiencing, it seems global. I won't be dogmatic, I could be wrong in my own conclusion, but I believe we are seeing nations being deceived by Satan and strong delusion abounding.

Great points all around. Thanks for posting this!

In my experience, the people who make light of the persecution that believers are currently experiencing in the West are usually the ones most likely to dodge persecution themselves. Being called mean names may not seem all that serious to you, but that is not how the Lord views it. Part of Christ's sufferings included being subjected to cruel mockery, and, when the wicked do that to us, they also do it to him. Besides, in addition to such verbal persecution, believers are often cancelled from their professions or excluded from social activities for not bowing the knee to the current thing, which has very serious implications for their quality of life. Is it as serious as being martyred for the sake of Christ? No, but not all persecution amounts to martyrdom.

Like how can you be conversant in the Pauline epistles and not know what you signed up for?

Gentle push here, brother, but nowhere in the OP nor in Graham's statement is any portion that qualifies for your particular interpretation of what they said.

You are right of course, about the historical climates and believers having far worse environments around them, but these two needed no correction as to warn others that (if they didn't know) the winds of favor are changing, and (if they did already know) a reminder that this is still true.

If I'm reading the OP correctly, it is a quote from Franklin Graham who is well acquainted with the sufferings of many people and who has worked to ameliorate the pain. The theology is hardly reformed, but the work is a solid reflection on what we are called to do as believers.

We are seeing significant changes in our Western world and I do believe we are seeing a demonic onslaught on the truth. Examples include Hate speech laws and Gender Conversion Therapy laws.

One of the Puritans, Jeremiah Burroughs, reflected on this point. He faced persecution first hand. He preached a series of sermons on honouring God especially it times of persecution. These sermons are tremendous. They have now been published in three books:
Puritan readers might be interested to know that according to the official biography of Burroughs, he preached three sermon series together. Now, all these are in print.
  • Moses Self Denial (Soli Deo Gloria)
  • Moses Choice (Northampton Press)
  • The Excellency of Holy Courage in Evil Times (Puritan Publications)

We are seeing significant changes in our Western world and I do believe we are seeing a demonic onslaught on the truth. Examples include Hate speech laws and Gender Conversion Therapy laws.

One of the Puritans, Jeremiah Burroughs, reflected on this point. He faced persecution first hand. He preached a series of sermons on honouring God especially it times of persecution. These sermons are tremendous. They have now been published in three books:
Thank you for the recommendations, I recently did Moses' Choice for Monergism about 2 weeks ago. https://www.monergism.com/moses’-choice-ebook I will have to look into the other 2 at a later date as I am working on Christian Warfare right now. But the other two seem really doable with low error scores. I might do them before to take a momentary mental break away from Warfare, as books 150 pages are less, especially with low error scores, take me around 4-8 hours to go through, update spelling, and correct errors. If not, I will try to remember to do these, Lord Willing, as soon as I am finished to have them all available for all, and get the "trilogy" together.

Moses' Self-Denial 7-10-0-0-0-4
The Excellency 11-12-0-0-0-0

The numbers beside the titles represent errors in the text, for example in Moses' Self-Denial, the 7 represents 7 missing letters, the 10 represents 10 missing punctuations, the 3 zeros represent no missing words, missing sentences, or unspec. And the 4 represents four Greek or Hebrew words in the text.

Thank you again for this recommendation; I had no idea the series were preached to be collective or that these books went together.

***Edit:

If you are interested, I have also been able to do the following since 5/20/23 using the error list as a guide to go after the texts that need the least work. Some have already been e-published by Monergism, the rest will be at his discretion. *** indicates those already out.

A Rebuke to Backsliders - Alleine ***
Christ the Fountain of Life - Cotton ***
Heaven Upon Earth - Janeway ***
Moses' Choice - Burroughs ***
Rejoicing in the Lord - Asty ***
The Art of Divine Meditation - Calamy ***
The Plea of the Poor - Downame ***
The Rules of a Holy Life - Byfield
The Glory and Happiness of the Saints in Heaven - Ranew

God's Husbandry: Parts I & II - Whately

Last edited:
Status