A Return to the Presbyterian Parish System

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is for sure. Confessional subscription by the Eldership would have to be tightened as it should be in my estimation.

How large of an area (population/square miles) does or should a typical parish cover?

That would have to depend on the area. My neighborhood, for example has 33,000 people living in a 2 square mile area, contrast that with suburban and rural areas.

IF the foundations are sure, I think this idea may hold some merit. The Presbyterian parish system is not something I've thought of very much, although I was aware of this post-Reformation idea and practice. Am I correct in thinking that certain areas were assigned to particular elders?

However, this strikes me as only slightly more likely to occur in the near future than the idea that "the church" will issue an English revision of the Bible based on the Textus Receptus.

PuritanCovenanter is correct with regard to soundness among the eldership. I've seen some who appear ready to rubber stamp any candidate for ordination simply because he has earned a degree.

I had reason to be looking over some of the documents in the Westminster Directories and was reminded of the section on Particular Congregations in the Directory on the Form of Presbyterial Church Government.

Of Particular Congregations.

IT is lawful and expedient that there be fixed congregations, that is, a certain company of Christians to meet in one assembly ordinarily for publick worship. When believers multiply to such a number, that they cannot conveniently meet in one place, it is lawful and expedient that they should be divided into distinct and fixed congregations, for the better administration of such ordinances as belong unto them, and the discharge of mutual duties.[32]

The ordinary way of dividing Christians into distinct congregations, and most expedient for edification, is by the respective bounds of their dwellings.

First, Because they who dwell together, being bound to all kind of moral duties one to another, have the better opportunity thereby to discharge them; which moral tie is perpetual; for Christ came not to destroy the law, but to fulfil it.

Secondly, The communion of saints must be so ordered, as may stand with the most convenient use of the ordinances, and discharge of moral duties, without respect of persons.

Thirdly, The pastor and people must so nearly cohabit together, as that they may mutually perform their duties each to other with most conveniency.

In this company some must be set apart to bear office

I would personally be in favor of the re-establishment of such a system and it would be an improvement over the American commercial system of picking your own congregation. It is also a far more Biblical system that would definitely not find much support in the "me-centered" American church.

The "multiplication" aspect of the doctrine is interesting. I just finished reading a book that chronicled group dynamics and relationships in group settings. From primitive tribes to the Jewish Kibbutz to Company sized war fighting units, 150 seems to be the maximum mark for significantly supportive intra-group dynamics.

I think at the end of the day, Kevin's suggestions are the best. It will take time and effort to change cultural expectations, even the expectations of those already Reformed.

I've read too much Jane Austen to think charitably about vicars. I think something happens when the government starts paying people to preach. I do wish, however, that more neighborhoods had Reformed churches. Ours is 30-35 minutes away and it would be nice to go to church with our neighbors.

The originator of this thread was not contemplating forcing people nor vicars nor other old relics. I think he was thinking of preference and expectations not enforcement as such (but I could be wrong).

Early in my walk with Christ, I was part of a church plant in which virtually everyone lived within 10 miles of the church, and most, much closer. As noted in the original quotation, this enabled us to be very close and to attend to each others needs on almost a daily basis. The fellowship was so very sweet. This is the ideal situation.

However, most don't live in a small southern town. I am blessed to live in the same town as my church, along with three other families. But over the years, we've had many members who have moved west because they could not afford houses here. They have remained faithful members. As people move to the area, we get visitors -- and then members -- from a wide stretch of real estate.

Virginia actually has a history of people traveling to church. In colonial times, the dissenters would travel well outside their Church of England parishes to attend those upstart reformed churches.

I think the only way to make this work would be to have a NAPARC-wide non-compete agreement.

There is one, There is just no way to enforce it apart from personal relationships. In my humble opinion, the best way would be to move torwards making the NAPARC Churches in to a sort of 1 denomination confederation with each old denomination fonctioning as automous synods. Sort of the Robert Godfrey plan... however it could require more compromise on the part of the tinnier denominations than the bigger which are comfortable already with more diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back