A Reformed view of Communication of Attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayn

Puritan Board Freshman
I've seen a lot of Reformed resources contrast conservative Christology with liberal Christology, but are there any sources for an in-depth comparison (longer than the treatments you'll find in systematic volumes) of Reformed Christology with Lutheran Christology that explicitly talks about the communication of attributes in Church history and Scripture? As I understand it, Reformed theology only embraces the first genera, so I want something which seeks to refute the other two (again, both in Scripture and history).

Mike Horton recommends a section in T. F. Torrance (yes, I know of his Christological problems, but he did hold to a Reformed view of the CoA) where he deals with this, but I want more resources.

Also, spell-check needs to get with the program on theological terms.

Peter Martyr Vermigli has probably the most thorough response to the Lutherans on this issue in his Discourse on the Two Natures of Christ, which is directed almost entirely at the Lutherans.

What, you can get Vermigli's works? I have a hard time finding any continental reformed guys besides Calvin. But I'll look at that discourse. I've wanted to read Vermigli and it'll be great to be introduced to him on such a definitive subject.

To clarify what I mean by depth: I'm reading Martin Chemnitz's massive "The Two Natures in Christ" and meeting with the local LCMS pastor. I'd really like something that deals with Chemnitz particularly or at least treats Christology with as much depth as his work, but I doubt I'll find that.

Thanks for the assistance, however, to all who responded.

Turretin (in great detail) and Hodge (a bit more succinctly) ably summarize the Reformed critique of the Lutheran (and Orthodoxy) communicatio. Horton touches on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back