A proper understanding of Exodus 23:13

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedChristian

Puritan Board Freshman
When discussing with those of other faith’s there are some Christians who will often use Exodus 23:13 to show we are not allowed to name or call out other gods/deities that men worship. The Scripture reads:

Exodus 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.”

At first glance of this text it would seem to indicate we are not to speak on or address other deities, but we must compare Scripture with Scripture. In fact we find many places in Scripture where the prophets often rebuke the gods of the pagan nations. Here are some examples:

Adrammelech, Anammelech, Ashima

2nd Kings 17:30–31 And the Avites made Nibhaz and Tartak, and the Sepharvites eburnt their children in fire to fAdrammelech and Anammelech, the gods of Sepharvaim.

Ashtoreth

1st Kings 11:33 Because that they have forsaken me, and have worshipped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the children of Ammon, and have not walked in my ways, to do that which is right in mine eyes, and to keep my statutes and my judgments, as did David his father.

Baal

Judges 2:13 And they forsook the Lord, and served Baal and Ashtaroth.

Chiun

Amos 5:26 But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves.”

Having established that Scripture is replete with examples in the mention of other so called gods/deities. What is the meaning of Exodus 23:13? The context is not simply mentioning of their names, but rather its tied to their worship:

Psalm 16:4 Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god:Their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, Nor take up their names into my lips.

Exodus 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:”

Joshua 23:7 That ye come not among these nations, these that remain among you; neither make mention of the name of their gods, nor cause to swear by them, neither serve them, nor bow yourselves unto them:

Micah 4:5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever.”

Jeremiah 8:2 “And they shall spread them before the sun, and the moon, and all the host of heaven, whom they have loved, and whom they have served, and after whom they have walked, and whom they have sought, and whom they have worshipped: they shall not be gathered, nor be buried; they shall be for dung upon the face of the earth.”

Therefore in having examined the Scriptures, we see the mention of other gods are tied to honoring and worshipping them, not simply referencing their name.

Good day Christopher.
I agree with your conclusion here, particularly as it relates to the context of the verse in questions, Exodus 23:13.

I would point out that the charge in your opening statement is one of common eisegesis through isolation. What I mean is, when people take a verse and isolate that verse alone, outside of its context , in so doing often eliminate the context either partially or entirely.

In the case of this verse, to isolate it from the fullness of Exodus 20 would be to expand this command from Gods word beyond its intended purpose, which is bound, or anchored in scripture here, to the laws about the Sabbath and festivals. This would be the first argument I would make, to then follow it up exegetically with the verse you are providing as well. I believe your argument would be more fully found within the context of the full chapter of Exodus 20.

Blessings,

Hello Christopher!

I also think that the intention of the passage in Exodus is not a blanket prohibition on mentioning false gods/deities.

Elijah flat out told the children of Israel that *if* Baal was God, to serve him. Obviously he didn't believe that Baal was God, but was trying to direct the people's worship from a false god, to the true and loving God.

And Elijah came to all the people, and said, “How long will you falter between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.” But the people answered him not a word.
-1 Kings 18:21

He was doing the Lord's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back