A Poll for Presbyterians (Sorry, Baptists!)

Are You a "Divine Right" or "Best System" Presbyterian?

• Divine Right

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Best System

Votes: 22 36.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
OK, fellow Presbyterians: are you a divine right Presbyterian - meaning that you believe that Presbyteriansim is the only system of church government taught in the Scriptures, or are you a best system Presbyterian - meaning that you believe that Presbyteriansim is just the "best system" of church government (of several) taught in the Bible?

I believe that Presbyterianism is the biblical system revealed to us. But that doesn't mean our modern versions of Presbyterianism best reflect NT Presbyterianism. There's always work to be done to improve.
:2cents:

I believe that Presbyterianism is the biblical system revealed to us. But that doesn't mean our modern versions of Presbyterianism best reflect NT Presbyterianism. There's always work to be done to improve.

I agree! Though I'd say that the OPC comes pretty close, more or less.

oh O.K., that makes sense. That's a toughy, especially since I know Church History all to well, but, that's also why I think Presbyterianisnm is best.

Nice Poll! - Grymir

I don't believe scripture teaches several systems of church government any more than it teaches several rules for worship. Divine right all the way.

This would probably the closest thing to my sentiments as well.

ETA: What I mean is this . . . scripture sets forth rule of the church by elders. This much is plain (I actually held to this when I was a baptist, which I why I then called myself a "baptistic presbyterian" or a "presbyterial baptist"). What I'm not so sure about is the biblical propriety or necessity of the presbytery and General Assembly as higher courts of authority than the local church's session. There is wisdom in such things sometimes, but just like any wise thing that's not necessarily biblical, they can also be abused or become hindrances to the church's mission in some cases.

Last edited:
Divine right. Scriptural model, commanded by God.

Not to start a fight, but I find it very difficult to see how Scripture presecribes the Presbyterian form of government. I find no classis, General Assembly, Moderator, etc in Holy Writ. Nor do I find the election of prebyters by the congregation. :2cents:

Might I suggest [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Elders-Every-City-Ordained-Ministry/dp/1842272306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208269513&sr=8-1"]Elders in Every City: The Origin an Role of the Ordained Ministry[/ame] by Roger Beckwith

Divine right. Scriptural model, commanded by God.

Not to start a fight, but I find it very difficult to see how Scripture presecribes the Presbyterian form of government. I find no classis, General Assembly, Moderator, etc in Holy Writ. Nor do I find the election of prebyters by the congregation. :2cents:

Might I suggest [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Elders-Every-City-Ordained-Ministry/dp/1842272306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208269513&sr=8-1"]Elders in Every City: The Origin an Role of the Ordained Ministry[/ame] by Roger Beckwith

I will let someone else give a more comprehensive answer, but I would point out that a Moderator is only the chairman of a meeting, it is not an office like a bishop.

I will let someone else give a more comprehensive answer, but I would point out that a Moderator is only the chairman of a meeting, it is not an office like a bishop.

I understand mate, I shared a flat with a Presbyterian for a while so know the arguments ;) I would point out that a bishop (in Anglicanism) is the same office as a presbyter but one that has been consecrated for a wider area of ministry (i.e. same office different role). :handshake:

I understand mate, I shared a flat with a Presbyterian for a while so know the arguments ;) I would point out that a bishop (in Anglicanism) is the same office as a presbyter but one that has been consecrated for a wider area of ministry (i.e. same office different role). :handshake:

You shared a flat with a Presbyterian...you have my sympathies. ;)

I didn't vote, because there wasn't an "other" option. I became a presbyterian for a lot of reasons, but one of them was the church government. I can't say that presbyterianism is the perfect answer to what the Scriptures teach, but coupled with the reformed doctrine and the church government, it seemed closest to me to what the Scriptures teach, so I became a presbyterian.

I do believe in one system taught in Scripture, but I can't say the presybterian church as we know it today has necessarily perfected that.

I asked in the other thread, without any responses.

I believe that Presbyterian polity (or a close variant) is the only teaching of scripture. So, I can't vote in the Baptist poll, as it is neither Best nor Divine in any way in my opinion. But I can't vote here because I'm a Baptist.

Life gets lonely in the so-called middle :(

I believe that Presbyterian polity (or a close variant) is the only teaching of scripture. So, I can't vote in the Baptist poll, as it is neither Best nor Divine in any way in my opinion. But I can't vote here because I'm a Baptist.

You can have my vote. :lol:

:violin::violin::violin::violin:

So get off the fence and come to the light!:candle:

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back