A Poll for Presbyterians (Sorry, Baptists!)

Discussion in 'Church Order' started by bookslover, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Divine Right

39 vote(s)
    63.9%
  2. Best System

22 vote(s)
    36.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Augusta

Augusta Puritan Board Doctor

Divine right. :pilgrim:

2. danmpem

danmpem Puritan Board Junior

Like you, I'm not trying to fight, but I must wonder about something: if there is even a little bit of "it makes most sense to do it this way" when it comes to church offices, General Assembly, etc., then doesn't that, by nature, make the Presbyterian system of church government the "best guess" by my Presbyterian brethren? I'm not trying to pick on them at all; in fact, I'm someone who "in the middle" here, as others have noted.

3. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Doctor

Just for the record - in my own poll - I voted for divine right. I believe that Presbyterianism is the only system of church government taught in Scripture.

4. kvanlaan

kvanlaan Puritan Board Doctor

Um, don't mean to split hairs here, but just HOW presbyterian are we talking here (that is, can we more clearly define the term?) Are we talking general biblical principles or OPC BCO?

I'm pretty much on the 'Divine' bandwagon, but just curious about the above bit.

5. AV1611

AV1611 Puritan Board Senior

The local church I attend has three ministers and one training minister all of which are presbyters and who preach the word and administer the sacraments. They were ordained by an episcopate or presbyters by with the laying on of hands. So in my local church we have a plurality of elders. Is this not similar to presbyterianism? But what if the congregation numbered 25? Would three ministers and one training minister be suitable or is it more senible to have one minister of the word?

6. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Here is a catechism on presbyterian church government jus divinum from the classic work on the subject, Jus Divinum Regiminis Ecclesiastici: The Divine Right of Church Government by the London Provincial Assembly:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.