A Persuasive to Unity

Discussion in 'Meditating on the Preached Word' started by py3ak, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

I came across this magnificent sermon by Thomas Manton tonight, and wanted to encourage everyone to read it. It is delivered with a gracious and meek spirit, and contains many encouragements and rebukes that I believe pretty much all of us need to hear.

A link: Complete Works of Thomas Manton, D.D. Vol. II. - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

It is quite short, but packed with useful instruction nonetheless. Three quotes to whet your appetite:

2. VictorBravo

VictorBravo Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Ruben.

It's a very timely reminder.

3. Herald

Herald Administrator Staff Member

Ruben, that portion should be required reading before a Christian participates in social media or message boards.

Sent fron my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

4. Alan D. Strange

Alan D. Strange Puritan Board Junior

Ruben:

Thanks, brother, so much for citing this. The importance of what Manton is communicating here can scarcely be overestimated. It is often that which is most needful to us committed to sound doctrine.

Peace,
    Alan

5. py3ak

py3ak They're stalling and plotting against me Staff Member

I'm glad the sermon and quotes are proving profitable. I know I need to hear these things more often myself. I have to add one additional excerpt, though if I keep it up I will soon have quoted the sermon in full:

It's not very difficult to illustrate this point from history. And lest anyone should think that this really only applies to church officers, Manton spends some time in the sermon demonstrating that a private person may also cause divisions. Whether online, as Bill notes, or in the flesh, this is something relevant to all of us. My pastor pointed out yesterday that in 2 John we are required not to receive false teachers; but in 3 John Diotrephes is castigated for failing to receive the brethren. We cannot think that either extreme is acceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.