A New Modernized Version of Gospel Worship by Jeremiah Burroughs

Discussion in 'Puritan Publications' started by C. Matthew McMahon, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

This classic work by Burroughs deals with the Regulative Principle: God alone determines the manner in which sinners approach him. This is a life-transforming and Christ-glorifying biblical work.

Gospel Worship, or, The Right Manner of Sanctifying the name of God in General, in Hearing the Word, Receiving the Lord’s Supper, and Prayer – by Jeremiah Burroughs (1599-1646).

“Jeremiah Burroughs’ Gospel Worship has greatly influenced my understanding of biblical worship. It is one of the most important books I have ever read.”
    –R.C. Sproul

“This treatise on Leviticus 10:1-3 is a call to propriety and sobriety in the worship of God. It deals with the believer’s sanctification through “three great ordinances”: (1) Hearing the Word, (2) Receiving the Lord’s Supper, and (3) Prayer In a day that promotes man-made forms of worship, Gospel Worship is a call to biblical worship of the Triune God though the means that He has instituted. Burroughs shows how important worship is to God and teaches us how to “give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name” (Ps. 29:2). He makes plain that we do not need new forms of worship to be relevant, but to renew old forms of worship.”
    –Joel Beeke

Jeremiah Burroughs (1599-1646), was a brilliant Reformed preacher of the Gospel, and an astute theologian. He ministered with pastoral sensitivity and a zealous desire to glorify God in his preaching and writing.

In this treasured work, Jeremiah Burroughs masterfully provides guidelines to facilitate the reader to move closer to God in worship. Through 14 sermons, Burroughs carefully explains the right manner of worshipping God in general, and the three great ordinances of hearing the Word, receiving the Lord’s Supper, and prayer. Burroughs demonstrates that true worship is reverent, focused on the holiness of God.

We've put a great deal of time into this work. It is bound in cloth, stitched, and has a dust jacket. It is not a scan or facsimile, has been carefully transcribed by hand being made easy to read in modern English, and has an active table of contents for all the electronic versions. 300+ pages.

Table of Contents:

Meet Jeremiah Burroughs by C. Matthew McMahon
    Regulating Worship According to God’s Will by C. Matthew McMahon
    Original Title Page
    Preface to the Reader
    An Outline of the Sermons
    Sermon 1: The Introduction
    Sermon 2: God Will be Sanctified in Those Who Draw Near to Him
    Sermon 3: The Importance of Preparing for Worship
    Sermon 4: Two Cases of Conscience
    Sermon 5: Sanctifying the Name of God in Holy Duties
    Sermon 6: Suiting Our Duties to the God We are Worshipping
    Sermon 7: Why God Will Be Sanctified in the Duties of His Worship
    Sermon 8: Sanctifying the Name of God in Hearing the Word Part 1
    Sermon 9: Sanctifying the Name of God in Hearing the Word Part 2
    Sermon 10: Why God Will Have His Name Sanctified
    Sermon 11: Sanctifying the Name of God in Receiving the Sacrament
    Sermon 12: What is Required in Receiving the Sacrament
    Sermon 13: Keeping to the Institution of the Sacrament
    Sermon 14: Sanctifying the Name of God in Prayer

Get the eBook Pack Here at Puritan Publications.
    Get the Printed Book Here at our Spotlight Page.
    Get the Google Play Book Here.
    Get the Kindle Version Here.
    Get the Nook Version Here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. C. Matthew McMahon

[​IMG]

3. scottmaciver

scottmaciver Puritan Board Sophomore

That looks like a great read!!

4. Ask Mr. Religion

Ask Mr. Religion Flatly Unflappable

I would like to obtain the eBook set, but the checkout process seems hosed up. I enter my existing account credentials and nothing happens. I am unable to proceed to following steps, Billing Information, Review Payment. The page just sits there after I supplied my credential with no indications. Tried this with several browsers, but the results are the same.

I'd rather not proceed as a Guest and create an account that already exists.

I even got some email containing a verification code (two of then now, since I have tried checking out twice) but have no idea where to enter this.

5. C. Matthew McMahon

Its a "new" security feature that makes you put in a verification code. Try logging out, log in, and when you log in, it should send you the code to "verify". After you enter that code when you log in, it should be normal time at PP and the checkout. Ill look at fixing that. It just popped up recently.

6. C. Matthew McMahon

Fixed. It was a two user authentication code. It should just allow you to log in now. It's working fine that way on my end.

7. C. Matthew McMahon

I honestly believe that its one of the most important books to read outside of the bible.
    (Burroughs is one of my top 5 favorites of all time. I would be just fine if I only had Burroughs, Owen, Edwards, Calvin, and Turretin).

8. C. Matthew McMahon

Take 15% Off Gospel Worship and all our Reformed and Puritan Print Books!
    Use code FIFTEEN | Expires April 12
    Visit our Spotlight Page to see all our new releases.

9. Scott Bushey

Scott Bushey Puritan Board Doctor

This is on my list!

10. scottmaciver

I've ordered my print copy & I'm waiting patiently...

11. C. Matthew McMahon

This is a "rock your theological world" kind of book. Most excellent. I've read it through 8 or 9 times.

12. scottmaciver

I might have to bump it up my reading list then Matthew!

13. C. Matthew McMahon

14. KSon

KSon Puritan Board Junior

Appreciate your forwarding of the coupon, dear brother. Just placed my order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.