A little knowledge of Hebrew=A VERY dangerous thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevZach

Puritan Board Freshman
Dr. Riddlebarger posted this video today:
http://kimriddlebarger.squarespace.com/the-latest-post/2009/7/30/it-was-just-a-matter-of-time.html

I don't care what your opinion is of our president (that's not the point of my post); I think we can all agree that this video deserves the "horrible eisegesis/pseudo-translation of the month" award!

It did have me rolling on the floor laughing my head off though.:lol:
Apparently Aramaic is the "oldest form of Hebrew" (WHAT??) and Satan and the Antichrist are one in the same.

Oh, and I just about lost it when he tried to pronounce "waw." And when he said that "some scholars" prefer to transliterate "waw" (or "wow" as he puts it) with the letter O or U. Yeah, sure, there's no such thing as a sureq or holem-waw, it's really just the preference of "some scholars."

Anyway, I think this video is a great cautionary tale. I've taught my congregation to use tools like Strongs Concordance, but I've also taught them that they are not sufficient tools for finding some supposed hidden messages in the text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea saw the video on one of my favorite political blogs, and had to quit mid-way through, shook my head and walked away. The blog was not supporting the message, just the entertainment value.

Oh, good grief. I just realised that all my education, subsequent studies, pain and ruptures in relationships due to theological shifting on my part have been for naught.

No! There is hope that I have not been played the fool. . . the producer can't even spell English.

:rolleyes:

Imagine if these folks spent as much time trying to understand what God's Word says instead of informing God what He should have been saying!

The blog has a subtitle: Devoted to Reformed Theology and Eschatology.

Perhaps it could benefit from focusing a little more on Reformed theology, and a little less on politics and eschatology.

what is really needed amoung reformed folk is a better understanding of the 2 kingdom system and the church needs to stay out of things where the Bible leaves room for disagreement.

Perhaps it could benefit from focusing a little more on Reformed theology, and a little less on politics and eschatology.

I totally disagree. I've been ridding the Riddleblog every day for a few years and there's a great mix. Sometimes, he just links to stupid things for their entertainment value, sometimes he posts sermons and academic papers that he's written, and sometimes he shows just how off-base the American church at large has become. I dig them all.

My blog's tagline is "Calvinist Theologizing and Miscellany," but I've never been accused of being heavy on the miscellany. :judge:

a friend of mine posted this (for a laugh) on my Facebook and I responded:

he says, after quoting a verse "these words were written in Greek... however Jesus spoke these words in Aramaic"

to that I say, "WHO CARES!"

Don't forget this verse: "...don't go beyond what is written..." - 1 Cor. 4

God gave us His Word written, be content with that, no need to speculate about what was spoken.

Sad, that I think the guy who made this video is NOT joking :( :doh:

I totally disagree. I've been ridding the Riddleblog every day for a few years and there's a great mix. Sometimes, he just links to stupid things for their entertainment value, sometimes he posts sermons and academic papers that he's written, and sometimes he shows just how off-base the American church at large has become. I dig them all.

My blog's tagline is "Calvinist Theologizing and Miscellany," but I've never been accused of being heavy on the miscellany. :judge:
You're quite right! Sorry, my mistake, I only looked briefly at the blog and didn't realise that he had embedded someone else's video, I thought that it was something he himself had produced. Please ignore my previous comment.

You're quite right! Sorry, my mistake, I only looked briefly at the blog and didn't realise that he had embedded someone else's video, I thought that it was something he himself had produced. Please ignore my previous comment.

Timothy, you should check out Dr. Riddlebarger's book Man of Sin; it's a great biblical case for a historically Reformed view of the Antichrist (it's his follow-up to the EXCELLENT Case for Amillennilialism, which was, for me, one of the final nails in the coffin of my former Dispensationalism.)

Last edited:
1. My apologies for embedding a video with images of the Lord Jesus in it; I somehow I did not digest that section of the board rules.

2. My thanks for not removing the post all together, but rather linking to Dr. Riddlebarger's blog.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back