A little knowledge of Hebrew=A VERY dangerous thing...

Discussion in 'Languages' started by RevZach, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevZach

RevZach Puritan Board Freshman

Dr. Riddlebarger posted this video today:
    http://kimriddlebarger.squarespace.com/the-latest-post/2009/7/30/it-was-just-a-matter-of-time.html

I don't care what your opinion is of our president (that's not the point of my post); I think we can all agree that this video deserves the "horrible eisegesis/pseudo-translation of the month" award!

It did have me rolling on the floor laughing my head off though.:lol:
    Apparently Aramaic is the "oldest form of Hebrew" (WHAT??) and Satan and the Antichrist are one in the same.

Oh, and I just about lost it when he tried to pronounce "waw." And when he said that "some scholars" prefer to transliterate "waw" (or "wow" as he puts it) with the letter O or U. Yeah, sure, there's no such thing as a sureq or holem-waw, it's really just the preference of "some scholars."

Anyway, I think this video is a great cautionary tale. I've taught my congregation to use tools like Strongs Concordance, but I've also taught them that they are not sufficient tools for finding some supposed hidden messages in the text.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  2. wallingj

wallingj Puritan Board Freshman

Yea saw the video on one of my favorite political blogs, and had to quit mid-way through, shook my head and walked away. The blog was not supporting the message, just the entertainment value.

3. Jake

Jake Puritan Board Junior

Baraq "O" Bam-Waw.

This is sad.

4. jogri17

jogri17 Puritan Board Junior

Still better than Rob bell

5. RevZach

:lol:

6. N. Eshelman

N. Eshelman Puritan Board Senior

I posted this earlier in the week and a mod deleted it b/c of the 2nd commandment.

7. DanMcCormack

DanMcCormack Puritan Board Freshman

Cela est très vrai !

"But Rob Bell is so sincere -- it has to be true!"

(Sadly, a direct quote)

8. LawrenceU

LawrenceU Puritan Board Doctor

Oh, good grief. I just realised that all my education, subsequent studies, pain and ruptures in relationships due to theological shifting on my part have been for naught.

No! There is hope that I have not been played the fool. . . the producer can't even spell English.

:rolleyes:

9. Curt

Curt Puritan Board Graduate

Imagine if these folks spent as much time trying to understand what God's Word says instead of informing God what He should have been saying!

10. Timothy William

Timothy William Puritan Board Junior

The blog has a subtitle: Devoted to Reformed Theology and Eschatology.

Perhaps it could benefit from focusing a little more on Reformed theology, and a little less on politics and eschatology.

11. jogri17

jogri17 Puritan Board Junior

what is really needed amoung reformed folk is a better understanding of the 2 kingdom system and the church needs to stay out of things where the Bible leaves room for disagreement.

12. RevZach

I totally disagree. I've been ridding the Riddleblog every day for a few years and there's a great mix. Sometimes, he just links to stupid things for their entertainment value, sometimes he posts sermons and academic papers that he's written, and sometimes he shows just how off-base the American church at large has become. I dig them all.

My blog's tagline is "Calvinist Theologizing and Miscellany," but I've never been accused of being heavy on the miscellany. :judge:

13. Blue Tick

Blue Tick Puritan Board Graduate

Silly stuff...

14. jason d

jason d Puritan Board Freshman

a friend of mine posted this (for a laugh) on my Facebook and I responded:

Sad, that I think the guy who made this video is NOT joking :( :doh:

15. Timothy William

Timothy William Puritan Board Junior

You're quite right! Sorry, my mistake, I only looked briefly at the blog and didn't realise that he had embedded someone else's video, I thought that it was something he himself had produced. Please ignore my previous comment.

16. RevZach

Timothy, you should check out Dr. Riddlebarger's book Man of Sin; it's a great biblical case for a historically Reformed view of the Antichrist (it's his follow-up to the EXCELLENT Case for Amillennilialism, which was, for me, one of the final nails in the coffin of my former Dispensationalism.)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  17. RevZach

1. My apologies for embedding a video with images of the Lord Jesus in it; I somehow I did not digest that section of the board rules.

2. My thanks for not removing the post all together, but rather linking to Dr. Riddlebarger's blog.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Zach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.