A general question concerning EP and the use of non-inspired songs in worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rook

Puritan Board Freshman
If sound preaching is to be received as the Word of God according to our confessional standards (see question 160 of the WLC) then why are summaries of the Word in song excluded from our worship? I have been meaning to reference Michael Bushell's "Songs of Zion," but I do not currently have the work at my disposal.

The argument of the Regulative Principle of Worship from Scripture is that there must be a command for each element of worship.

We have a command for the Psalms being sung and for preaching, but not for hymns being sung.

I think you are asking,

"If a preacher can deliver a non-inspired sermon based on scripture, why may we not sing non-inspired songs based on scripture?"

Ditto to Richard.

Technically, we don't sing the Psalms because they are inspired. We sing them because they are appointed. Nothing else --- whether it be other portions of the inscripturated Word, or whether it be the preached Word --- is appointed for that purpose.

Thanks for your responses.

I was interacting with a position which would argue any text of Scripture could be sung in worship, excluding non-inspired hymns. I think the OP would be an adequate response to the position with which I was interacting, but not EP.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back