A favor for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanablue

Puritan Board Doctor
All,

I have a friend who is in graduate school and is working on a big project this semester. She's digitizing the scrapbook of a early 20th century college student. The scrapbook is going online and will be accessible to the public. She is doing some usability testing (basically figuring out if her web design makes sense and if people can understand how to navigate the site). I told her I would pass along the link to her test to as many people as possible. If you have a few minutes (I think the test took me about 3 minutes, seriously), I know she would appreciate your help. :)

https://daisie.optimalworkshop.com/chalkmark/survey/Test2

Kathleen,

I did it :)

That's awesome... I wish all web developers would use such test to see how effective their designs are. Some are simply horrible. I could name names, but that might be uncalled for.

Kudos to your friend for paying attention to the much neglected art of usability.

Thanks! I know, I thought it was a pretty spiffy test myself. Apparently the service she is using is free too.

I did it, but I got lost in taking more and more three question quizzes. It was kind of fun in a brainless way.

A great test! I used to oversee communications (including website) for a state college. Wish we'd tested our site like this.

The first page says "you do NOT need to enter your email address, but may if you like".

If you hit *continue* without entering it, a message in *red* pops up that says "Please enter your email address".

Is that a trick? LOL!

The first page says "you do NOT need to enter your email address, but may if you like".

If you hit *continue* without entering it, a message in *red* pops up that says "Please enter your email address".

Is that a trick? LOL!

oh weird. I will let her know about that.

I tried the second test in different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) and each time was not able to proceed as I didn't enter an email address.

I tried the second test in different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) and each time was not able to proceed as I didn't enter an email address.

I sent her an email about that and she got back to me. Apparently the software that she is using (which is free) is not allowing her to bypass that. So you do have to enter your email address to take that one. She was pretty annoyed actually, because she doesn't want anyone's email address and she knows that people don't want to enter it. Oh well...I guess you take what you get when you are using a free program?

I didn't have to enter an email address (Vista/Firefox) and took the quizzes until it repeated (maybe four sets?). Fun, fast, easy!

Is that a trick? LOL!

oh weird. I will let her know about that.

Hint to everyone : It doesn't have to be your real email address - it just has to look like one. I used [email protected]. The com and net versions are probably still available for use.

I sent her an email about that and she got back to me. Apparently the software that she is using (which is free) is not allowing her to bypass that. So you do have to enter your email address to take that one. She was pretty annoyed actually, because she doesn't want anyone's email address and she knows that people don't want to enter it. Oh well...I guess you take what you get when you are using a free program?

Is she using software installed on her PC/server, or web-based software? If the latter, is she sure that the software's publishers aren't collecting email addresses or passing them along to some third party?

Is she using software installed on her PC/server, or web-based software? If the latter, is she sure that the software's publishers aren't collecting email addresses or passing them along to some third party?

I really don't know... The best thing to do is probably to follow Edward's suggestion and just use a fake email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back