A Dutch New Years tradition, Oliebollen!

Discussion in 'The Iron Chef' started by Seeking_Thy_Kingdom, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Seeking_Thy_Kingdom Puritan Board Freshman

• Like Like x 3
    • Rejoicing Rejoicing x 1
    • List
  2. Reformed Bookworm

Reformed Bookworm Puritanboard Colporteur

All of my Dutch friends keep telling me about oliebollen! I have yet to try it. They have me hooked on stroopwafels. I am assured this olliebollen is just as good or better.

3. Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Stroopwafels are great, but nothing beats an oliebol! Good thing they are only eaten this time of year... :cheers:

4. Tom Hart

Tom Hart Puritan Board Senior

Dutch treats are superior to any other treats.

Got a bag of pepernoten recently, along with some gevulde speculaas. Those disappeared quickly.

And then, of course, there are dropjes. Can't get those around here, unfortunately.

5. Edward

Edward Puritanboard Commissioner

Looks like a Hush Puppy in that picture.

6. Susan777

Susan777 Puritan Board Freshman

7. Seeking_Thy_Kingdom

Those are raisins that I had soaked in rum the night before :)

8. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

Yummy. I've had them, but not often. When I was a kid, the only distinctly Dutch dish regularly prepared in my home was balkenbrij. Balkenbrij is pig fat and scraps (parts of the head, tail, organs, whatever) boiled and mixed with flour, cooled and shaped into a loaf, and then sliced and fried in oil.

My dad let it be known that if someone was butchering a pig, he would take the scraps. Then he would carefully prepare his balkenbrij, which was a favorite dish from his childhood. None of the rest of us ever wanted to even try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.