A capella Psalm singing with harmonies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moireach

Puritan Board Freshman
My friend and flatmate Niall Maclennan has been making recordings recently of a cappella Psalm singing. :sing:
He records himself doing the Bass, tenor and melody and puts them together. He uses the Scottish Psalter and the official tunes and harmonies.
Have a listen!

His intonation is excellent, with no visible means of support! He can come and join my church choir any time he likes :)

The helpful button went away, but I agree, these are great. I've been listening and posting to my blog. I do miss hearing the alto part though!

He knows the alto parts but obviously wouldn't do it

Just wondering, why not? If he can sing the soprano part an octave lower, why not the alto?

The reason I'm asking is because I've done some similar recordings singing all four parts and I thought they turned out pretty well (in terms of intonation, but not voice quality). Admittedly, the alto part was hard because of range, but I transposed in some places so I could hit the notes.

And, no, I will not post them. ;) In fact, I think I will utterly delete them before I'm tempted. . . .

I think he should do the alto. It's not exclusively a women's part--just think of barber shop quartets: all men, all four parts. :)

David, nice job on your Psalm singing YouTube channel too.

I like the tune Golden Hill as you have recorded it. Is it a new tune? It's not in the blue Free Church Psalter.

Lol he just said the alto sounds weird when a guy does it, because it's kind of made for girls with higher voices.

Thanks Rick. Yeh Golden Hill is a common favourite, powerful harmonies! It's not new but it is new to the Free Church really. It is short metre so can be sung to Scottish Psalter but the tune was only introduced in the 2003 Sing Psalms Psalmody book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back