A Brief Meditation on Psalm 13

Discussion in 'The Pilgrims Progress' started by Joshua, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:55 AM.

1. Joshua

Joshua Administrator Staff Member

But I have trusted in thy mercy; My heart shall rejoice in thy salvation. I will sing unto the Lord, because he hath dealt bountifully with me. - Ps. 13​

---------

Even the slightest discovering of the vileness of the "least" of our sins to us by God ought to drive us to trusting in His mercy. This is the only appointed path to liberty, and the way of being rid of all vestiges of self righteousness and merit religion. Mostly however, it seems, we don't deal rightly with ourselves, and we are prone to replace God's pristine Law with rules of our own devising, whose standards are greatly diminished from His standard. They are commandments we are able to keep, and ones we couch in biblical terminology, so as to comfort us in our substitution of God's Law. But this is the very essence of what condemns men to hell: That we will not abandon our own paltry and beggarly righteousness, our own pride, the perceived comfort of our own lusts, and, instead, throw ourselves at the mercy of Jesus Christ, taking hold of His righteousness and obedience alone. Yet, we must. We must take the avenue of true relief, acknowledging the guilt of Adam's sin due to us, our own actual transgressions, and the potentiality we each possess to commit the same sins or worse of the worst sinners we know or have heard about.

THIS sight of sin, this honest dealing with truth, this holding up our rebellion in relief to the perfect requirements of God's Law, ought bring us to the end of ourselves, and fit us -by God's great grace- for the mercies of God in Jesus Christ. We do ourselves, and all our loved ones, and our enemies, damning harm when we mitigate the guilt of any sin, when we take lightly any commandment, when we laugh or joke about any violation of God's Law, because -in so doing- it cheapens (in our esteem, not in reality) the wrath of God that was poured out upon Christ for the elect's sake. There is no good news, without honest acknowledgment of the bad news. Let us not cheapen (in our own esteem) what Christ has done, nor -by our vain carriage- give occasion for the enemies of God to blaspheme, by having some kind of "Christianity" that is silly, merely sentimental, soft, and vain. Let us carry ourselves as people who -while we do not take ourselves or own lives too seriously- we take Christ and His Word with the greatest of gravity and the with most sincerity and earnestness we can possess in this vale of tears and world of clay.