70 Weeks in Daniel - Where can I find historic premillennial critique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbed

Puritan Board Freshman
Having shed my dispensational eschatology, I'm kinda naked. Very tentatively, I identify myself as a historical premillenialist. Looking at Ladd's commentary on Revelation 11, he writes "We must recall that John wrote the Revelation probably some sixty years after the ministry of our Lord, which makes it obvious that this interval cannot stand in John's mind in any kind of direct continuity with seventy weeks of Daniel." In a footnote he directs his readers to E.J. Young "The Prophecy of Daniel" for interpretation of Daniel 9.
I read Young's commentary on Isaiah and thought he was amillenialist.
My guess is that postmillenialist, amillenialist, and historic premillenialist would agree on a preterist interpretation of Daniel's seventy weeks. This group usually splits into two (according to Sinclair Ferguson, Daniel in Mastering the Old Testament Series): 1.) the referent is Antiochus Epiphanes or 2.) a reference to Christ, his sacrificial work, and the destruction of Jerusalem.
If you could get your hands on Young's commentary that would probably be most helpful. I haven't read it, but from his work on Isaiah he is very detail oriented.
Does anyone know anything about Philip Mauro's "The Seventy Weeks" http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/1921_mauro_seventy-weeks/mauro_seventyweeks.pdf
I know he was a former dispensationalist - I he actually lectured on it publicly. Anyway it's free and its only about 100 pages.

My guess is that postmillenialist, amillenialist, and historic premillenialist would agree on a preterist interpretation of Daniel's seventy weeks.
That's what I thought, and that is what makes the most sense too me.

I like George E. Ladd. I'm too am historic premillennial, with amillennialism on the backburner. Originally, I was superficially attracted to postmillennial after shedding my dispensationalist skin, and I started realizing that the theonomic postmillennialism was wrought with flaws, and eisegesis. My kingdom views square with G.E. Ladd and C.H. Spurgeon.

[Edited on 6-13-2006 by Puritanhead]

James Farquharson wrote an excellent postmillennial one about the turn of the Century. It was called "Daniel's Last Vision and Prophecy". I have the electronic version from American Vision. It was scanned as a graphic instead of text, so it is a huge file. Hopefully, someone may point to where you can get this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back