31 Days with Samuel Rutherford in Hard Copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOwen

Puritan Board Junior
There are two volumes of Letters of Samuel Rutherford numbering 365 unique entries. Almost two-thirds were written during his eighteen month exile at Aberdeen in the North of Scotland. In 31 Days with Samuel Rutherford are certain extracts of these letters, divided up into 31 days of devotional thoughts. This work is now available for download from Kindle, and now for the first time in hard copy.

Enjoy.

Many thanks for this. I have the Bonar edition of Rtjerford's letters which conveniently contains 365 letters. Spurgeon described Rutherford's letters as the "nearest thing to inspiration that can be found in all the writings of mere men." I have found his letters to be a real means of blessing and there are many inspiring, thought provoking, Christ glorifying, God honouring, heart warming quotes to take from his letters. Rutherford's letters and Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress are two indispensable books.

A couple of years ago we were driving from Dumfries to Stranraer and passed the turn of for Anworth. I would have loved to have stopped at the ruins of Rutherford's old church but unfortunately were rushing to Stranraer to catch the boat back to Belfast.

Rutherford's letters and Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress are two indispensable books.

Oh, I think you and I would be good friends! Rutherford, Bunyan, and Edwards are my three favorite men.

A couple of years ago we were driving from Dumfries to Stranraer and passed the turn of for Anworth. I would have loved to have stopped at the ruins of Rutherford's old church but unfortunately were rushing to Stranraer to catch the boat back to Belfast.

I have been there, and St. Andrews Kirk-yard. One of my favorite place in Scotland.

I m quite sure Ruherford could never have envisaged that nearly 400 years after his death people would still be reading his letters and getting so much from them. On the subject of letters, I have also been dipping into John Newton's letters which are also very good.

It's a shame now that letter writing is a thing of the past. When pastors need to write to struggling discouraged Christians it's nearly all done by email which only the recipient will see and never print out. Think of how much the church would have missed out had emails been around in Samuel Rutherford's day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back