3 Reasons You Should Like the SP Before you Read It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thoughts there, I'd say. I can always use the reminder not to start with a suspicious attitude before I even read someone else's proposal.

I posted this on the blog first:

Only one question, Joe: since I appreciate (and agree with!) your desire to have each of us to put off suspicion, what do you make of the fact that it is in essence suspicion of the current ethos and structure of the PCA that drives the plan? Suspicion that men can speak (need for safe places?), suspicion of using peoples gifts (need for seats at the table?), suspicion of churches to do the right thing and support the denomination...etc

Personally, I find the suspicious (and at points) condescending attitude in the Plan to be the real problem, not the specifics. I'm in favor of the AC funding mechanism, for example. Just some food for thought.

Yes, the tone of this Plan is not right.

At a time when the broad majority of churches and presbyteries are experiencing financial downturn, and struggling to support their own operations, let alone denominational giving, the Plan proposes a heavy hand of enforced giving.

Now, there is a legitimate need in funding the Administrative Committee, and that does need to be addressed.

And, I'm not sure of the best way to address that need, but it seems to me that a "head tax" on teaching elders, not on ruling elders, does not make sense- particularly in a denomination where parity of elders is a goal. Particularly where both are represented at every level of court, including General Assembly.

The preface given for the vague, generalized complaints (that have a tone almost of whining) is unduly negative. Premised on decline in numbers. I'm not sure that is the case- we after all do not have a sufficient means for reporting our numbers, but they have shown increase every year but were almost flat last year, apparently due almost entirely to decline at one large church, which I understand is now growing.

But the premise, and the unmeasurable plan remedies seem based on pessimism. They do not propose practical ways for denominational infrastructure to do more with less in what is likely to be an extended economic downturn.

I'm not sure who actually authored the plan other than one or two people- that ought come out, but this does not at all appear to be a broadly based constituent of teaching elders as this man's blog implies.

Were that the case, the Plan would be looking for ways to improve efficiency, empowering churches and presbyteries to do ministry, and funding the work of the A/C and even other denominational agencies in a sufficient, biblical and accountable way that would have broad support.

In these times, some functions need to be improved with technology, reorganized, streamlined and let go to self support. Everyone is having to do this- in homes and businesses.

That's the practical side and, unfortunately, the Plan fails at that.

The only way the denomination, the covenant community of believers grows and sustains God's blessings is by faithful application of His Word in everyday life. Not by structure changes that are top down and once removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back