2022 PB College Football Pick'em Week ZERO

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
POWER! UNLIMITED POWER! *Shaking off Palpatine channeling* Okay, my college football peeps, the show is starting! College football is finally back! Please note there will only be 11 games for week zero, and that week one will have Thursday games.

Austin Peay vs Western Kentucky (11 AM)
Nebraska vs Northwestern (11:30 AM)
Idaho State vs UNLV (2:30 PM)
UConn vs Utah State (3 PM)
Wyoming vs Illinois (3 PM)
Duquesne vs Florida State (4 PM)
Charlotte vs FAU (6 PM)
Florida A&M vs North Carolina (7:15 PM)
Nevada vs New Mexico St (9 PM)
Vanderbilt vs Hawai'i (9:30 PM)

Tiebreaker: North Texas vs UTEP (8 PM)

Nebraska vs Northwestern (11:30 AM) (But Go CATS regardless!)
Charlotte vs FAU (6 PM)

Tiebreaker: North Texas vs UTEP (8 PM) 37-34

Western Kentucky
Nebraska
UNLV
Utah State
Illinois
Florida State
FAU
UNC
Nevada
Vandy

Tiebreaker: UNT vs UTEP 28 -27

Western KY
Nebraska
UNLV
Utah State
Wyoming
Florida State
FAU
North Carolina
Nevada
Vanderbilt

Tiebreaker
North Texas 35-21

Last edited:
Charlotte vs FAU (6 PM)
Tiebreaker: North Texas 23 vs UTEP 27 (8 PM)

POWER! UNLIMITED POWER! *Shaking off Palpatine channeling* Okay, my college football peeps, the show is starting! College football is finally back! Please note there will only be 11 games for week zero, and that week one will have Thursday games.

Charlotte vs FAU (6 PM)

Tiebreaker: North Texas vs UTEP (8 PM)
Western Kentucky
Nebraska
UNLV
Utah State
Wyoming
Florida State
FAU
North Carolina
Nevada
Vanderbilt
UTEP 38, North Texas 20

Charlotte vs FAU (6 PM)

Tiebreaker: North Texas 31 vs UTEP 48 (8 PM)

I'm assuming these are all Saturday games if any of them were already played then just count those as a loss should be a fun season ☺️

As I expected, it was CROWDED at the top this week. No fewer than five people got 9 out of the 10 non-tie-breaker games correct. Had to go to the second level of tie-breaking to find the winner. Edward won by being a single point closer on the winner's score than Mark and Edmund. I will be recording the correct guesses, incidentally, by looking at all the non-tie-breaking games.

Here are the results:
Edward 9 :flamingscot:
Todd 9
Zach 9
Mark 9
Edm 8
Ben 8
Lane 8
Jason 8
Andrew 8
Earl 4

Last edited:
Lane's chosen tie-breaking procedure looks first only at the winner's score, and then only at the loser's score in cases where two people choose the same winning score, rather than a combination of both winners and loser's score. Ed's winning score was one point closer than your winning score.

That’s fine, I didn’t see my name at all in results. That’s why I asked

Yes, I assumed your first name in full was Edmund because your screenname is "Edm". I also wanted to make sure there was not confusion between Edward and Edmund. If that is not your name, please correct me. You are definitely not on suspension!

As I expected, it was CROWDED at the top this week. No fewer than five people got 9 out of the 10 non-tie-breaker games correct. Had to go to the second level of tie-breaking to find the winner. Edward won by being a single point closer on the winner's score than Mark and Edmund. I will be recording the correct guesses, incidentally, by looking at all the non-tie-breaking games.

Here are the results:
Edward 9 :flamingscot:
Todd 9
Zach 9
Mark 9
Edmund 9
Ben 8
Lane 8
Jason 8
Andrew 8
Earl 4
Lane - Please explain how you're doing scoring. There were 11 total games. I show that Todd, Edward, and Mark all got 10 of those games correct. You, Zach, EdM, and myself got 9 correct. Jason and Andrew got 8 correct. And bringing up the rear with 4 correct was Earl.

Even if we don't include the tiebreaker game as one of the games to be counted, leaving only 10 games, then Todd, Edward, Zach and Mark got 9 out of 10; whereas Jason, EdM, Andrew, yourself, and I all got 8; and again, bringing up the rear with 4 correct was Earl.

So what method are you using to arrive at the tallies you did?

Nonetheless, I do show that Edward won.

Last edited:
Ben, as I mentioned in the tally post, in terms of the final tally each week, I am using the non-tie-breaking games as the total of which people get a certain number correct. According to that tally, Todd, Edward, Zach, Mark, and Edm all got 9 out of 10 correct; Ben, Jason, Lane and Andrew got 8 out of 10, and Earl got 4 out of 10. Of the 5 people who got 9 out of 10 correct, four folks got the correct winner of the tie-breaking game (Todd, Edward, Mark, and Edm). Then, of those, Edward got the closest winning score. The reason I wasn't counting the tie-breaking game in the total games is because guessing the correct winner of that game is itself the first tie-breaking procedure. Hope this is clear.

Ben, as I mentioned in the tally post, in terms of the final tally each week, I am using the non-tie-breaking games as the total of which people get a certain number correct. According to that tally, Todd, Edward, Zach, Mark, and Edm all got 9 out of 10 correct; Ben, Jason, Lane and Andrew got 8 out of 10, and Earl got 4 out of 10. Of the 5 people who got 9 out of 10 correct, four folks got the correct winner of the tie-breaking game (Todd, Edward, Mark, and Edm). Then, of those, Edward got the closest winning score. The reason I wasn't counting the tie-breaking game in the total games is because guessing the correct winner of that game is itself the first tie-breaking procedure. Hope this is clear.
It isn't. Instead of going through my color coded score card, I'll just use one person to illustrate the discrepancy: EdM... He picked Idaho State and UConn. Both teams lost. That means he got 8 of those 10 games correct. Not 9. Sure, he picked the tie breaker team correctly (UNT)... and so adding that game would bring him to 9. But if we're going to count tie breaker game, then you need to do it across the board, and so, if you get someone like Edward or Todd who only got the Neb/NWU game wrong, that means their total would be 10. I can show this with just about every person. In almost no case does your scoring add up. And I'd like this fixed before we get much further in the season.

Last edited:
Ben, I see what happened. For some reason I misread Edm's pick on the Idaho St. game. His revised number is 8 out of 10. I wasn't counting the tie-breaking game, I made an error in counting the Idaho St. game. I went through once more all the counting. I don't see any other errors. If we are counting the non-tie-breaking games for the initial count, do you see other errors?

Ben, I see what happened. For some reason I misread Edm's pick on the Idaho St. game. His revised number is 8 out of 10. I wasn't counting the tie-breaking game, I made an error in counting the Idaho St. game. I went through once more all the counting. I don't see any other errors. If we are counting the non-tie-breaking games for the initial count, do you see other errors?
If only the main slate of 10 games factors, then that fixes it. :up:

If only the main slate of 10 games factors, then that fixes it. :up:
Good deal. This being the first time I have ever run it, I appreciate errors being pointed out. I am trying my level best to be absolutely fair and accurate. As with textual criticism, however, it is not always possible to be 100% accurate. So I will also appreciate the errors being pointed out with grace.

Good deal. This being the first time I have ever run it, I appreciate errors being pointed out. I am trying my level best to be absolutely fair and accurate. As with textual criticism, however, it is not always possible to be 100% accurate. So I will also appreciate the errors being pointed out with grace.
You know that famous quote from Teddy Roosevelt about the critic not being the one who counts but rather the man in the arena?

You know that famous quote from Teddy Roosevelt about the critic not being the one who counts but rather the man in the arena?
I am familiar with it. I merely want to keep this contest fun and light-hearted. We are, after all, dealing with a subject that counts as pure entertainment. I hardly think running this contest counts as being in the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back