2021 PB College Football Pick'em Rules and Regs

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Hi again -

Just taking this opportunity to lay down the rules of the contest so that you know a little more about how the contest is going to be run.

As has been my practice in the past when I have served as the Commissioner of these proceedings, I will make my best effort to select a good slate of games which should be reasonably close and interesting matchups. This won't always be possible, of course, especially early in the season - but this is my main guideline. I also seek to spread the games out around the country to a degree, and to mix up the football programs represented, while frequently featuring our favorites. My aim is to make it interesting week in and week out - and if you would rather there be other games selected, then do your best to win the contest and run the show next year. For this year's edition, I'm in charge. :)

The first round of games has now been posted, and we will conclude, as the last week of the contest, with the conference championship game slate (usually I throw in FCS and Division II games to round out a slate of 15 games)

Contest Format and Rules

Each week’s contest will consist of 15 games to pick – each of the 15 games counts in a player’s total.

After the regular season is completed, all those who have been weekly winners will be invited to participate in the annual Bowl Bash, whose winner gets the honor of running the show in 2022 (or designate an alternate, as in this year). Rules for the Bowl Bash will be posted after the slate of Bowl Bash contestants is announced in early December. There is a small bonus for those who win multiple weeks, and bonus points for winners will be added to Bowl Bash Contest totals.

All slates of games will be posted in the Sports forum on Monday morning of each week. There will, on occasion, be Friday evening games, and if there are, the fact will be clearly noted in the subject line of the week's announcement. Everyone should be aware of this possibility, and pay attention to the announcements made for each weekly contest.

All entries must be posted in the thread for a week's contest before kickoff of the first game in a given slate. Any slate of selections that come in or are edited after this time will not be included in the competition. That means that if there is one Friday game and your selection of 15 comes in after kickoff Friday, your entry will not be valid.

There will be NO Sunday games included in the contest.

All games that are postponed due to weather or any other circumstances such as COVID outbreaks and resulting forfeits will be stricken from consideration. If it so happens that this postponed game is the tiebreaker game (see rules below) then the tie will be broken by the person who posted the first entry among the tied contestants winning the week’s contest. If a set of picks is modified during the lead-up to the games, then the modification time will be the time of entry for tiebreak purposes.

A week’s contest winner is the one who has the most correct picks out of the 15 games, total, and will be declared on Monday. This total of 15 DOES include the special tiebreak game (where contestants must choose the final score) as a regular entry of the 15, in normal scoring. Each week in the announcement, the Wall of Honor (a.k.a. the Wall of Flaming Scotsmen) including the preceding weeks' winners will be posted, with our traditional :flamingscot: indicating each victory.

Tiebreaking procedures

The following rules apply if two or more contestants have picked the same number of winning games out of these 15. The tiebreaking procedure follows these steps in order until there is one player remaining.

1) Correct winner chosen for the tiebreak game.

Example: If contestants A, B, and C are participating in the tiebreaking round, and only contestant B properly chose the winner of the tiebreak game, then B is the winner. If both A and B got the winner of the tiebreak game correct, then they move on to step 2, and C laments his or her prognosticating abilities.

2) Among those who correctly chose the winner of the tiebreak game, the following straightforward metric is used to choose the winner: the pick which is closest to the actual final score.

The contestant whose pick is closest is the one which most accurately reflects the winner’s score AND the losers’s score. To determine this, we take the simple approach of measuring the “distance” between the prediction and the actual result in the plane of winner’s score vs. loser’s score. This has the virtue of I’ve included the following illustration to help visualize this:
upload_2019-8-7_13-32-12.png

3) In the unlikely event that there remain more than one with exactly the same “distance”, which will usually occur only if both contestants picked exactly the same score, though there are other possibilities, the winner will be the one whose entry was posted earliest. Again as above, if one edits their entry mid-week, the date of posting for tiebreaking purposes is the time of edit.

4) The Grand Poobah reserves the right to determine and rule on all other matters which arise out of unforeseen circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back