2019 Puritan Board College Pick 'Em Bowl Bash (First game kicks off 1:00 PM CST, Friday, 12/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry Hall has stepped out to the early lead...

Bowl Bash Standings after the first nine games (these include the bonus points awarded to multiple week winners in the regular season):

Henry Hall: 7
Edm, Edward: 6
Backwoods Presbyterian, Puritan Covenanter, Sola Scriptura, toddpedlar: 5
Green Baggins: 4
earl40: 3

Next update: morning of 12/28

December 28 Update:

After a week of bowl games with 18 played thus far, Henry Hall continues to lead, but now has a partner in crime with Edward, two games ahead of the rest of the pack. Plenty of action yet to come!

13: Edward, Henry Hall
11: Edm, Sola Scriptura, toddpedlar
10: Puritan Covenanter
9: Backwoods Presbyterian, Green Baggins
7: earl40

Next Update: Morning of 12/31

Standings after 26 games complete. At this point, we can forecast people who have still got a shot to win, and those who do not. Those who are mathematically eliminated because of picks in the remaining games are indicated by an asterisk.

20: Edward
17: Henry Hall, Sola Scriptura, toddpedlar*
16: Edm, Green Baggins
15: Backwoods Presbyterian, Puritan Covenanter*
13: earl40*

Still six alive for the opportunity to run the contest next year - to those whose name will not be in the winner's circle, thanks for playing! (yes, I realize thanking myself is weird!)

From this point forward I'll update after each set of games until we've got a winner, and then I'll shoot out a final message after all is said and done to recapitulate.

For those who aren't conspiracy theorists: The Ohio State - Clemson game was decided in the replay booth, not on the field. And that sure looked like a completed pass-fumble-recovery-touchdown.

Other takeaways thus far: It looks like LSU really is that good, and Miami (FL) really is that bad.

For those who aren't conspiracy theorists: The Ohio State - Clemson game was decided in the replay booth, not on the field. And that sure looked like a completed pass-fumble-recovery-touchdown.

Other takeaways thus far: It looks like LSU really is that good, and Miami (FL) really is that bad.

There have been few times during these bowl games when I got really angry at what seemed like an injustice on the field... the OSU-Clemson game is one of them, and that fumble took the cake. I kept wondering as the announcers were talking about the play how many steps one could take while holding the ball with arms outstretched (not "hauled in") and subsequently have the ball stripped away, and have the replay booth call the thing an incomplete pass. He was in control of the ball, despite not having hauled it in, and after his third step - in my interpretation of the rules - he's got control. Fumble and TD.

The targetting call was also wrong. No way to avoid helmet to helmet at game speed when the QB crouches down putting his head directly into the path of an onrushing defender aiming at a tackle.

This "football move" thing is way out of control.

The targetting call was also wrong.

Given the organized push on head injuries, I'll spot the officials that one, although it could have gone either way. (Who of us guys of middle age or later hasn't had one or two concussions, or to be politically correct, as the ER labeled my last one "Traumatic Brain Injury".)

I was a little surprised that the replay officials made the correct call on Virginia's forward pass to the lineman in the 4th quarter and pulled back that touchdown. I thought they'd give that one to the ACC.

And a final rant of the moment - what was with the Orange Bowl having to give up a New Year's Eve spot to the Alamo Bowl?

Or why did it ever give up the New Years' Day slot it traditionally had? and perhaps most importantly why in the world is there 16 days between the semifinals and the final? Could they not have put the semifinals at least on Jan 1? Heck they could even legitimately put them on Jan 6!

SEC SEC SEC
I am still a bit pf a Big 10 fan Not necessarily the 13. It is my heritage. You all don't know about the cold or our life. LOL We will beat you up. LOL Come rain, snow, s;/\\\\\ cuss words or else. You have no idea of our resolve. We are.

Happy New Year! Well, kids, it's happy for some of us in this contest. Over the past day, several more have dropped by the wayside as Edward's lead continues to hold true. Current standings after 31 games are (again a * marks those who, even if all the rest of their picks were successful, cannot take the lead):

23: Edward
21: Henry Hall*
20: toddpedlar*
19: Edm, Green Baggins, Sola Scriptura*
18: Puritan Covenanter*
17: Backwoods Presbyterian*, earl40*

So there you have it - the contest hangs in the balance for just three (Edward, Edm, Green Baggins), and depending on how things shake out, could be over today.

And just for those who REALLY want to know - the things to watch today are the Citrus and Rose Bowls. Edward will be declared the contest winner if EITHER Alabama beats Michigan, OR Wisconsin beats Oregon.

IF BOTH Michigan AND Oregon win, then Edm and Green Baggins are still alive.

What's the over/under on Lane Kiffin's tenure at Ole Miss? Looking at Wikipedia, a lot of folks have questioned his veracity over the years. Well, it's not like he can hurt the program there.

Speaking of Ole Miss, I'll bet they're glad they dumped that Orgeron guy before he was able to do to them what he did to the LSU program.

Speaking of Ole Miss, I'll bet they're glad they dumped that Orgeron guy before he was able to do to them what he did to the LSU program.

Orgeron is doing better because he finally learned to let go of some control and hire good assistants.

Well it does seem as though this contest is determined - though I will give the final results after all is said and done. Edward will, regardless of how the remaining games go, win the Bowl Bash and have the right to run the PB Pick'Em in 2020. Congratulations, again, Edward!

Standings after 35 games

25: Edward
24: Henry Hall*
22: toddpedlar*
21: Edm*, Green Baggins*, Sola Scriptura*
20: earl40*
19: Puritan Covenanter*
18: Backwoods Presbyterian*

We do have some great matchups to look forward to next year.

Just looking at the SEC:
Georgia vs. East Tennessee State
Florida vs west coast powerhouse Eastern Washington
Kentucky bringing in Kent State for an Ohio River showdown.
Arkansas goes big with Kent State and Charleston Southern
Alabama takes on Kent State and Georgia State
South Carolina taking on cross state rival Coastal Carolina
Tennessee going all in against Furman
Vandy has scheduled a matchup with Mercer (does Mercer even have a football team?)
LSU can repeat as National Champion if they can get by Rice and Nichols State.
The Aggies risk back to back games against instate rivals Abilene Christian and the North Texas Mean Green.
Middle Tennessee will test the coaching genius of Lane Kiffin who can demonstrate the skills he honed at Oakland, Tennessee, and USC.
Mississippi State hosts Tulane
Auburn will put history behind itself and host Alcorn State

If Kent State can sweep its three SEC games, the SEC championship game should be cancelled, and Kent State should be named conference champion.
If they throw in a win over Penn State, they should be declared National Champions by acclimation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back