Tiebreaker

Pittsburgh 17 at Georgia Tech 24

N.C. State at #12 Florida State
#1 Alabama
at Vanderbilt
#16 TCU at #6 Oklahoma State
#8 Michigan
at Purdue
#17 Mississippi State at #11 Georgia (been a dawg fan way too long to not know how this will go)
#4 Penn State at Iowa
#7 Washington at Colorado
Notre Dame at Michigan State

Tiebreaker

Pittsburgh at Georgia Tech 17-14

#1 Alabama
at Vanderbilt
#8 Michigan at Purdue
#17 Mississippi State at #11 Georgia
#4 Penn State at Iowa
#7 Washington
at Colorado

Tiebreaker

Pittsburgh at Georgia Tech, 27-21

Last edited:
#1 Alabama
at Vanderbilt
#8 Michigan
at Purdue
#17 Mississippi State at #11 Georgia
#4 Penn State
at Iowa
#7 Washington at Colorado

Tiebreaker

Pittsburgh at Georgia Tech 32-23

Florida State
Alabama
Oklahoma State
Purdue
Mississippi State
Penn State
Washington (boooooooo)
Notre Dame

Tiebreaker

Pittsburgh at Georgia Tech
21 — 34

Go Bears!

Florida State
Alabama
Oklahoma state
Michigan
Mississippi State
Penn State
Washington
Notre Dame

Georgia Tech 21 Pitt 9

Todd, Kainos and I have the same score. We both guessed 6-2 (he guessed wrong on Florida State and Oke State). So the tie-breaker will decide. I'm not sure how Ben scores the tie-breaker: if it's by closest score to the winner, then Kainos wins. If it's by closest to the margin of difference, then I won. We'll find out.

I'm not sure how Ben scores the tie-breaker: if it's by closest score to the winner, then Kainos wins. If it's by closest to the margin of difference, then I won. We'll find out.

There used to be a spreadsheet, that while it has been explained to me, I never understood, that provided the answer.

And I still have the spreadsheet and offered it to Ben if he wants it. The tiebreaker system that I invented when I was the Grand Poobah takes

1) smallest difference in scores this way: sqrt((total score diff)^2+(margin diff)^2) to take into account both the total score one predicts and the margin. Alternatively one could do the same thing with winner score diff and loser score diff, which provides the same ordering of predictions.

2) If that is tied (very unlikely) then the tie break goes to smallest winner score difference

3) if that is tied (very unlikely) then to the loser score diff

Todd, Kainos and I have the same score. We both guessed 6-2 (he guessed wrong on Florida State and Oke State). So the tie-breaker will decide. I'm not sure how Ben scores the tie-breaker: if it's by closest score to the winner, then Kainos wins. If it's by closest to the margin of difference, then I won. We'll find out.

The way that we have in the past done things is count the tiebreaker game as one of the games on its own (so that there are actually 9 games). Maybe Ben is doing this differently and only going to the tiebreaker if the score in the 8 other games is tied.

I definitely missed one game of Kainos's - I had him in my spreadsheet picking NCSt which isn't what he picked.

So in my spreadsheet (see above) I have the difference being much in his favor. The final score was 35-17 - his prediction was 24-21, a much closer game... yours was 17-10, a much lower-scoring game but somewhat closer on margin.

Anyway, Ben can decide what he wants to do. (and I am thinking it might be nice to standardize and make clear what the rationale for deciding on the tiebreaking game is - and whether it is used in the normal accounting).

Todd, that seems a bit complicated. It might be nice if the criteria were simplified so that we can determine for ourselves by looking at it who the winner is. This would be my suggestion for the tie-breaker (in this order of priority): 1. the correct winning team; 2. how close the winner's score is to your guess; 3. how close the margin of victory is to your guess; 4. how close the loser's score is to your guess. This really ought to prevent any ties (though even a tie wouldn't precisely be the end of the world!).

... This really ought to prevent any ties (though even a tie wouldn't precisely be the end of the world!).

Agreed. A tie isn't a crisis. It simply means that those who tied are both eligible for participation in the bowl edition at the end of the season.

Todd, that seems a bit complicated.

It was easy enough with his spreadsheet. Plug in all the picks and scores, plug in the result, and the low number won. (I never had to do it, but if it turned out two folks had picked the same tiebreaker score, I was planning to give it to the first one to make the pick).

My (mildly OCD) soul longs for resolution of week four's contest... (especially since I am in the running).

Week Four Result (correct picks)

Kainos: 7 :flamingscot:

(Wins Tiebreak: 24-21 for a difference of 16.6 compared to 27.3)

Greenbaggins: 7
Douglas Padgett: 6 :flamingscot:
Backwoods Presbyterian: 6
Edward: 6
Earl40: 6
Edm: 6
Bill the Baptist: 6
Claudiu: 5 :flamingscot:
toddpedlar: 5 :flamingscot:
Sola Scriptura: 5

Status
Not open for further replies.