2008: Year of the Puritans

Discussion in 'General discussions' started by VirginiaHuguenot, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Help make 2008 the 'Year of the Puritans' (HT: Chris Ross at The Conventicle).

As C.S. Lewis said (Introduction to Athanasius' On The Incarnation):

2. bookslover

bookslover Puritan Board Professor

This is a great and justly famous quote. The first paragraph is very important. Why read some dreary tome about Plato (or whoever) when you can read the man for himself? I like Lewis's contention that a person with average intelligence will be able to pick up most of what Plato (or whoever) has to say.

3. VirginiaHuguenot

4. VirginiaHuguenot

5. VirginiaHuguenot

6. VirginiaHuguenot

7. MrMerlin777

MrMerlin777 Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Love the Lewis quote.

As has been said it is justly famous.

8. VirginiaHuguenot

:up:

9. VirginiaHuguenot

Here are the suggested books for 2008. Although anyone can choose their Puritan curriculum.

[​IMG]

10. VirginiaHuguenot

For those reading January's selection, or thinking about getting started, here is review of The Bruised Reed by Derek Brown.

More on Richard Sibbes here, including links to online editions of all of his works.

11. Narnian

Narnian Puritan Board Freshman

I think the Lewis quote can also apptly apply to myself in a slightly different fashion - how often do I read books about the Bible instead of reading the Bible? Too often. :um:

12. VirginiaHuguenot

It is a good question for all of us to ask ourselves; none of us, I dare say, can say that we read the Bible too much. But, as the Puritans, who fought tooth and nail for the principle of sola Scriptura, point us to the Scriptures above all, it is nevertheless good and profitable to read them (Puritan authors), especially in our age, not in place of the Word, but as those who were well-grounded in it, and who direct us thereto.

It is worth, In my humble opinion, reading also the words of Thomas Murphy wrt Bible study and wrt the use of commentaries. Though his remarks are directed to pastors, they are applicable, I think, to all. He puts both in their proper place.

13. VirginiaHuguenot

Timmy Brister interviews Mark Dever on Richard Sibbes here.

14. Blueridge Believer

Blueridge Believer Puritan Board Professor

I got my books yesterday. Read about a third of the way through "the bruised reed" last night. Very uplifting. :up::scholar::banana:

15. Reformed Covenanter

Reformed Covenanter Puritan Board Doctor

That is a lot of reading for one night. :book2:

16. Barnpreacher

Barnpreacher Puritan Board Junior

:ditto: I got a late start as well, so I'm just through chapter 8. But I must say chapters 7 and 8 were two of the most extraordinary, profitable chapters I've ever read! There was so much spiritual meat to digest in those two chapters that I had to go back and re-read. :wow:

17. Blueridge Believer

A little over 40 pages thats all brother. Big print.

18. Reformed Covenanter

How modest of you. :eek:

19. Blueridge Believer

:lol:

20. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Puritan Board Doctor

My books come today or tomorrow. I want to get January read before February comes.

21. Augusta

Augusta Puritan Board Doctor

I don't know if I will get mine until next week. :( I think I can do two in one month though. Maybe. [​IMG]

22. Quickened

Quickened Puritan Board Senior

I wasnt able to find the bruised reed at my church (it must have sold) so i bought some alternates to hold me over

23. Reformed Covenanter

Surely your meant to read the books not the calendar. ;)

24. DMcFadden

DMcFadden Puritan Board Doctor

:lol::lol::lol:

A bit fussy today, Daniel?

"I want to get January['s selection of The Bruised Reed] read before February['s choice of Mystery of Providence] comes due to be read.

25. VirginiaHuguenot

I am encouraged by those who are taking up the Puritan challenge to tolle lege! Especially those who are catching up / keeping up. Way to go, Supergirl! ;)

Here are some more blog posts of interest for those focused right now on Richard Sibbes, The Bruised Reed:

Who Is Richard Sibbes? (January 10, 2008)
    Puritan Challenge - Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes (January 18, 2008)
    It's not too late to join the 2008 Puritan Reading Challenge! (January 23, 2008)
    About Those Bruised Reeds - Discussion 1 (January 16, 2008)
    About Those Smoking Flax -- Discussion 2
    Blogspotting the Puritan Challenge 2 (January 22, 2008)
    The Bruised Reed on Calling for Truth - LIVE Next Week (January 23, 2008)

26. Barnpreacher

Barnpreacher Puritan Board Junior

Just finished up The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes. Without a doubt it is a MUST READ for every believer at some point in their life. It has to be one of the top ten books of all time (outside of the Bible).

What a gracious God we serve, and how it was so eloquently explained by Sibbes!

:sing: Worthy is the Lamb, seated on the throne! Crown you now with many crowns, you reign victorious. High and lifted up, Jesus, Son of God. The Darling of heaven crucified, WORTHY IS THE LAMB!!!

27. BobVigneault

BobVigneault Bawberator

I'm only a third done with The Bruised Reed. So far, my favorite passage as it applies to the Puritan Board is this: (It regards the subject of dealing with those who are new to the faith.)

28. Blueridge Believer

Finished the bruised reed and getting ready to start "the mystery of providence".

29. Augusta

Augusta Puritan Board Doctor

I got my books Monday. :eek: I am only about 1/4 through bruised reed. I gotta do a marathon read and get going. I am only just beginning it, really, but it is already so good. I don't want to rush it too much. :up: :up:

30. VirginiaHuguenot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.