2008 College Football Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama looked good Saturday, but the question is how good is Georgia? This is the same team that was very lucky to beat South Carolina and struggled with Georgia Southern. I'm still not sold on Alabama. They've looked good against two overrated teams and horrible against Tulane. The jury's still out, in my opinion. And don't assume they'll beat Auburn, and especially don't assume they'll beat LSU...

Penn State is playing the best football in the country right now. They are #4 in scoring offense, #9 in total offense, #11 in scoring defense, #14 in total defense. No other team is top 15 in all 4 categories...WE ARE!!!!

Great pics, Adam...

Alabama started strong last year as well but faded down the stretch. I think Georgia was so highly ranked because of the reputation of their teams in the past few years. They were the team "nobody wanted to face" in the SEC championship game last year, as most thought they were playing better than anyone else in the SEC at the end of last year, making them a trendy pick this year.

Meanwhile, Kentucky and Vandy are both 4-0 with Vandy being 2-0 in the SEC as well. When was the last time that happened?

Vandy/Auburn is a good game so far but I can't see Vandy winning this game, big kudos to them if they can as I will be turning on the Wisconsin/Ohio State game here in 15 minutes. Also, way to go Illinois in trouncing Michigan!!!!

Wow! Vandy just knocked off Auburn. They are now officially #1 in the SEC East, and they will almost certainly be a top 15 team next week!

Yes, that was shocking! Alabama just barely held on, Fresno State, and Connecticut (both top 25) lost, but nothing else real notable this week.

PSU currently in the top 10 in Total Defense, Scoring Defense, Scoring Offense, and Total Offense. No other team can make that claim. Congrats to Penn State so far...BIG test this Saturday at Wisconsin. What do you think, Adam?

I think PSU is a much better team than Wisconsin is but we had better play HARD and be ready because Wisconsin is going to be highly motivated. They pretty much have to win to stay in it for any kind of good bowl game.

My new Top 5:

1. Texas

2. Penn State

3. Alabama

4. Oklahoma

5. Florida

The Texas-Oklahoma game was impressive - I thought Texas looked very strong. But I still say the team playing the best all-around football is Penn State...

I love your top 5, but I doubt PSU jumps Alabama (though they should in my opinion). I predict

1) Texas
2) Alabama
3) Penn State
4) Florida
5) Oklahoma

I seriously doubt Texas can play that schedule and remain undefeated, and I am confident that Alabama will lose a game before it's all said and done. Penn State, if they go undefeated, has a very good shot at the National title. Lets hope they don't have a let down week!

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Penn State
4. Texas Tech
5. Oklahoma

I also think that Penn State has the best shot of going undefeated. Unless I am missing something, they have looked impressive in each of their games. They also have the easiest remaining schedule. Big 12 and SEC will beat up on each other. I would love it if the rankings worked out that the winner of the Big 12 championship game and the winner of the SEC championship game, would go on to the National Title game. It would be a semi playoff.

Looks like I one of the few Bama fans. Good season so far, but not getting my hopes up. The pachyderms and had a lot of good starts over the last few years.

I would love to see Bama and PSU in the NC though

I think every conference should have a championship game with the winners going to the big bowl games as a playoff.

A playoff I agree with - but wouldn't fill the bracket this way. Perhaps major conference championship winners could be the top seeds - but not all conferences are on par with each other, so taking only the winners of championship games leaves many of the best teams out.

everyone would need to be in a conference.

I'm not talking about independents. My point, Adam, is that the MAC winner, or the winner of the Mountain West conference, for instance, might be no better than 3rd or 4th in terms of strength when compared to the members of the SEC or the Big Ten. To put all conferences on par isn't realistic (this is why the basketball tournament is seeded as it is... to keep only championship winners isn't sensible).

Alabama vs Penn State would be awesome and prove that real college football has returned!

So it's not real football if Penn State isn't involved? :lol:

Seriously, Penn State is looking good. But they may have to go undefeated to get to the title game since the Big 10 doesn't have a conference championship. If the other conferences beat each other up the way they did last year, they could get in with 1 loss the way Ohio State did last year.

Now my LSU tigers didn't look so good last night. Going in, it looked like they could afford a loss in that game, but a blowout like that probably puts them out of the picture. They have dropped all the way to 13. It looks like the personnel LSU lost is more significant than most thought it would be, and it seems to be an issue on defense as well. They just aren't creating turnovers the way they have in recent years. If Florida keeps playing like that they will be tough for anyone to beat. Almost all of their remaining games are in "The Swamp" too.

I think the NCAA rule is that a conference has to have 12 teams to have a conference championship which is why the Big 10 (really 11) and the PAC 10 don't have one. There are very few independents anymore in college football. Notre Dame is probably the last significant hold out.

Penn State, Alabama, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc. I much prefer these teams to Missouri, LSU, South Florida, West Virginia, etc.

Always have to hold out some respect for the Tide! Georgia turned Tennessee into dog food Saturday -- it was expected, but then the Vols can be having a terrible year, then be a real spoiler right in the middle of Georgia's schedule ....

Penn State, Alabama, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, etc. I much prefer these teams to Missouri, LSU, South Florida, West Virginia, etc.

You're welcome to your opinion, brother. I've never been a big Penn State fan but I did favor them over the cocky Miami team in the 1986 national championship game. Vinny had the same problem in that game as he did during much of his NFL career, throwing it to the other team.

Am I right in suspecting that you have a preference for old time "traditional" powers instead of perceived Johnny come latelys? If so Florida doesn't really qualify since they weren't consistently good until the "old ball coach" got there in the early 90's. The only conference championships they prior to that were stripped in the 80's due to NCAA violations. LSU has won more national championships than Florida (or Penn State for that matter although PSU has certainly been more consistent through the years) and almost double the number of SEC titles. But if Fla. plays the rest of the year like they did last night they might be tied in national championships after this year. Florida has had a great run over the past 15 years or so but I would compare them more to Miami and Florida State as teams that came to prominence relatively recently.

Well, at least Penn State doesn't play as many cupcakes now that they are in the Big 10 as they did as an independent earlier in Paterno's tenure. :lol: But the same could be said of most other independents at that time, whether it was Miami, Florida State, Notre Dame, etc.

Last edited:
Go Hokies!

hokiebird.jpg

Always have to hold out some respect for the Tide! Georgia turned Tennessee into dog food Saturday -- it was expected, but then the Vols can be having a terrible year, then be a real spoiler right in the middle of Georgia's schedule ....

It's pretty clear that the Vols are having a bad year. But this being the SEC they will probably play spoiler and upset at least one team before its over. The Tide look good so far, but we'll have to see what happens. It's very tough to go through the SEC now with even one loss, much less go undefeated.

Penn State is still Top 10 in Scoring & Total Offense, Scoring & Total Defense, Kick Returns, Extra points/Field goals. No other team comes even close to this. If the team stays focused and concentrates on each game as it comes, they will win out and play for the BCS title.

Looking forward to the demolition of scUM this Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back