1689 Federalism Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about if I start a thread on this topic?
If you are interested, yes. I hadn't considered @Stephen L Smith point of the availablity of people, so with further info I would likely temper what I said. If there wasn't a conservative Presbyterian church in my area, I could see myself attending a conservative Baptist Church, especially a reformed Baptist where there are many things that we would agree on.

I am a baptist. Who believes most of O. Palmer Robertson's book Christ of the Covenants. I just believe that the covenant sign ought not to be administered until the person professes individual faith. I do admit a general promise to the households of believers, however, but do not think that is enough to adminster the covenant sign...and so I am still a baptist.
So you would agree to there being some form of discontinuity between the Old and New Covenants then?

I have read that, too. But I like newer authors better (they are easier to read.....Owen's Death of Death was almost the death of me)....
I have Aspergers Syndrome so I find some large books hard to read. I sympathise. However, did you know Dr McMahon has written a helpful modern english summary on Witsius' work -still a very comprehensive work on covenant theology. http://www.puritanpublications.com/store/products/covenant-theology-made-easy-by-c-matthew-mcmahon/
believes most of O. Palmer Robertson's book Christ of the Covenants.
Have you seen Dr McMahon's review?
http://www.apuritansmind.com/covena...ist-of-the-covenants-by-dr-c-matthew-mcmahon/

I have Aspergers Syndrome so I find some large books hard to read. I sympathise. However, did you know Dr McMahon has written a helpful modern english summary on Witsius' work -still a very comprehensive work on covenant theology. http://www.puritanpublications.com/store/products/covenant-theology-made-easy-by-c-matthew-mcmahon/

Have you seen Dr McMahon's review?
http://www.apuritansmind.com/covena...ist-of-the-covenants-by-dr-c-matthew-mcmahon/
I have read Macmahon's book on Covenant Theology and also his review of O. Palmer Robertson. Macmahon says the Christ of the Covenants is "too simplistic" but many seminaries assign it as a beginning text on covenant theology and I think it does a pretty good job as an introduction.

Here is a good summary from Macmahon's book review which coincides with my belief:

"As Scripture demonstrates a series of covenantal relationships through redemptive history, the student comes to understand that the covenants made with Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and the New Covenant remain in perfect unity both in structure and theme. There is a structural unity that is perceived in these covenants as previous covenant administrations are built upon by later covenants, rather than replacing them. Covenantal inaugurations demonstrate this, such as with the case of Abraham and his covenant extending to God’s purposes with Israel in their covenantal expressions. The genealogical realities in covenantal succession with Abraham , Moses and David demonstrate not that they are different covenants, but that they are successive of one divine covenant. Even in the fulfillment of the New covenant in Christ, past covenants are referred to in order to demonstrate the continuity, not discontinuity, of those divine employments. One must also consider the thematic unity of the covenants in recognition to the manner in which God relates to his people. God does not have a plan “a” in covenant “one” and a plan “b” in covenant “two.” Rather, the New Covenant is the fulfillment of the one covenant demonstrated in its progressive stages through redemptive history. God will be a God to His people, and this will never change. Saving these people (the elect) through Jesus Christ is the single unifying theme that transcends all the covenant expressions."

How much continuity between the 2 Covenants would you see then?
I see that God has inaugerated a plan of redemption since Genesis 3:15 and that every action and covenant of God is a step forward in that plan since Gen. 3:15 as a further progression of that plan, and that believers are given grace from that point until the promised New Covenant. If believers are saved and participate in the grace of God, and if God always administers saving grace through the means of a covenant, then obviously Old Testament believers participate in some covenant. So what covenant was active during the Old Testament? The answer is the Covenant of Grace?

I see that God has inaugerated a plan of redemption since Genesis 3:15 and that every action and covenant of God is a step forward in that plan since Gen. 3:15 as a further progression of that plan, and that believers are given grace from that point until the promised New Covenant. If believers are saved and participate in the grace of God, and if God always administers saving grace through the means of a covenant, then obviously Old Testament believers participate in some covenant. So what covenant was active during the Old Testament? The answer is the Covenant of Grace?
The saving Covenant was always the New Covenant, as that is the CoG, but the OT persons were also under the OT Covenant, and especially under the Mosaic One, where the blessings promised to them was by keeping the Law, and to receive physical blessings while in the promised land.
The fullest of the CoG could not be established on Earth between us and God until coming of the NC, due to the birth, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Himself in order to usher in now in full here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back