10 LESSONS FROM A PANDEMIC. HAVE WE LEARNT THEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
People have been offering lessons to learn from the start of the coronavirus crisis. They range from social, public health and economic concerns to personal life lessons. With the benefit of hindsight some query how it has been managed. Debate about whether these lessons will be learned is likely to be ongoing. What about the spiritual lessons we ought to take from this crisis? How have we responded and how ought we to have responded? It’s not over yet of course, and so we still need to apply these ten lessons amongst others.
We can learn from those in the past who have reflected on the spiritual lessons we need at such a time. Thomas Brooks wrote a book during the plague year in London called The Privy [Secret] Key to Heaven. In a lengthy introduction he covers twenty special lessons that we need to learn.
The first ten relate to an application of Micah 6:9. He counsels us to cling close to God in affliction. We must acknowledge God’s sovereign role and voice in it. We must also humble ourselves in response to such an event and engage in sincere repentance. We will look at the last ten in this updated excerpt.
1. DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED IN AFFLICTION

Good article. May I add a lesson that I have learned from watching the PB since this all began? I have learned that having the knowledge/ability to argue fine points of theology does not necessarily equate to practical/wise exercise of religion that impacts a lost and dying world for the cause of Christ. I have stated elsewhere, and I now reiterate, that souls are perishing, people are suffering, and many Christians are gladly holed up at home. Now is the time to share the gospel! Take it to the streets if necessary; take a beating if you must; put yourself at risk if it be required! Just don't retreat!
“Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.”

The New King James Version (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982), Mk 8:34–38.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back