1 Samuel 2 - Maturity and depth of Hannah's theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I recall a minister in training speaking of the development of the idea of resurrection and that it is only the late Psalms that have the full blown idea of life after death. I got pretty upset at that and visited the church secretary, but that is a story for another day.

Here in Hannah's prayer/song she has the whole concept! I am sure that she was thinking things over as she breastfed Samuel for 3 years(?). What does surprise me is the depth of her understanding OK she has 3-4 years to think things over. Maybe Elkanah was a good instructor but the impression is of a very virile and mature theological understanding.

Obviously the Pentateuch was written and Job but how widespread was access to these documents. We are often blind to the fact that there were no bookshops because everything had to be hand written. Did Elkanah as a Levite have access to books of the OT? Could he check scrolls out and take them home to his family? We have so many ways of reflecting our age of the printing press: thinking Biblically, Bible study, daily Readings. What was the experience of the OT. Did the Levites not have a role in explaining the scriptures? I think Nehemiah revived this role in his public assemblies in Jerusalem but what documents would they use/carry?

I know velum would be a bit more durable than paper but how widely were scrolls distributed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back