1 Cor 14:26--each one has a hymn

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I'm not debating this point, but just curious. How do EP guys explain Paul's word in this passage? Presumably, the person who has a hymn or a tongue or a revelation gets to share it in proper order. Does Paul mean "Psalm" instead of hymn in this passage?

I'm not debating this point, but just curious. How do EP guys explain Paul's word in this passage? Presumably, the person who has a hymn or a tongue or a revelation gets to share it in proper order. Does Paul mean "Psalm" instead of hymn in this passage?
In short, yes. The word in the original is psalmon, and it is translated as psalm in the KJV.

Even if a different word were used, however, there wouldn't be any more of a difficulty for the EP position. As you know, other words are used to refer to the Psalms as well.

It should be noted that the passage in general is fraught with difficulties, and I could see how one's view of the passage as a whole could incline him toward different views of what Paul is referring to by mentioning Psalms. Are they the Psalms in the vulgar tongue sung in a disorderly manner? Are they Psalms sung in the Hebrew tongue without an interpreter? Are they new songs given by prophesy (whether real or pretended)?

I’ve typically understood this passage as it speaking to miracle gifts due to its association in the passage.

In the first century with other miracles gifts it would make sense. Prophecy has ceased as well.

Would that interpretation mean that the early church did not exclusively sing psalms during the early church? I don't mean to stretch this too far, but could these songs be similar to songs which are written which refer to the completed work of Jesus such as in Revelation 5? Since we are only to sing songs which are inspired by God, such songs were permissible as they were inspired (through the gift of prophecy in the apostolic era which has now ceased), but at present, the only inspired songs we are given to sing are the Psalms.

Would that interpretation mean that the early church did not exclusively sing psalms during the early church?

I’m not sure. We also have prophecies and scripture being written.

Whatever the case may be, it was divinely inspired nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back