“Jesus” as a buzzword

Do you have experience of inappropriate use of Jesus’ Name by Christians?

• No I have not encountered this as an issue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I think this is an issue - please share details

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I’m not sure what you mean

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other - please share details

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexanderjames

Puritan Board Sophomore
In popular evangelicalism I encounter today (in evangelism, missions, preaching) I am concerned about the excessive use of the Name of the Lord where it is not appropriate to do so.

What are your thoughts?

Definitely yes. I have talked to a few professing Christians at work about their misuse (vain use) of the Lord's name at work. They said they were giving honour to him by including his name in their conversations but these were trivial matters.

Psalm 111:9 "He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name."

Instead of Jesus or God, Christians often use “word” when blaspheming as if that somehow makes it not count. I’ve never understood it considering John’s explicit writing about the Word being God, but maybe that’s just me.

Instead of Jesus or God, Christians often use “word” when blaspheming as if that somehow makes it not count. I’ve never understood it considering John’s explicit writing about the Word being God, but maybe that’s just me.
I don’t that think in that context blasphemy is usually the case. Similar to “may I have a word with you?”, or “what’s the good the word” or “word” for short. “Word” and “words” are often used to mean a conversation or a persons thoughts.

I don’t that think in that context blasphemy is usually the case. Similar to “may I have a word with you?”, or “what’s the good the word” or “word” for short. “Word” and “words” are often used to mean a conversation or a persons thoughts.
To be clear, I'm specifically referencing the context of "oh my _____". Word is a term that often falls within that space. You may still disagree and that's fine.

To be clear, I'm specifically referencing the context of "oh my _____". Word is a term that often falls within that space. You may still disagree and that's fine.
I’ve never thought of that but you may have a point.

My kids hear "oh my God/gosh" on TV and started repeating it. They quickly learned "God" is to be used reverently and "gosh" is a minced oath.

My daughter now says "oh my goodness" which I guess is better, but I still have my reservations in the same way you do about "word."

Probably should just do away with "oh my ____" and use "oh wow".

I regularly hear Christians utilize the Lord’s name in vain. More often than not, they’ve been so influenced by the surrounding culture that they don’t even realize that they’re doing it and it actually does require some convincing to prove that they’re speaking inappropriately.

I'd need more context. As a pseudo cuss word: "...s I can't believe it's raining again," I hear this almost never among believers. In broader evangelical circles, my-buddy talk rankles me along with "blessed" as punctuation and "thoughts and prayers" from those who are only trying to express sympathy.

Props to the PB. Before I joined here I had never heard the term "minced oath," and used them all the time. Self-correction is difficult, but not impossible. I seldom here "Jesus" misused, but frequently hear "God" misused in the manner the OP describes.

The context is open as I wanted to open this up for discussion. And I realise my post is a bit convoluted so apologies for the lack of precision.

However, the context of the title comes from my experiences which are not out and out blasphemy. I’m actually talking about the excessive use of the Lord’s Name by Christian speakers in popular evangelicalism, whether it be missionary workers, youth workers, conference speakers, etc.

Specifically what I mean is when I hear speakers with a great deal of “passion” or “excitement” about “sharing” Jesus, but there being very little in the way of substance of truth. For example, when the Lord’s Name is seemingly tagged on to events that seem largely worldly, like Christian festivals.
We see the taking of the Lord’s Name in vain more obviously among heretical groups like prosperity preachers at their events. My concern is that this kind of superficiality and the worldliness of these events are influencing more conservative Christian circles.

(I will say I do not doubt the intent of many of these Christian speakers as sincere.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back