μένομεν swapped for μένωμεν reason or error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
I have a quote μένομεν ὥσπερ ἔσμεν but checking the source the original is μένωμεν ὥσπερ ἔσμεν. Look up both the first words essentially mean the same thing. Is there a reason the quoter changed; some grammer reason (of which I have no knowledge). Or is it a mistake if the original was μένωμεν? The text is poor and old ligatures are involved but I think I have the readings right. And it seems to me the "ο" is clear in the quote verses the "ω" in the original.

Quote:
1684850633492.png
Original:
1684850701169.png

Last edited:
If it is of any value
Owen 16:409 has this

"Seeing, then, that neither the care of God over his truth, nor the fidelity of the Judaical church whilst the oracles of God were committed thereunto, will permit us to entertain the least suspicion that there was ever in the world any copy of the Bible differing in the least from that which we enjoy, or that those we have are corrupted, as is pretended; and seeing that the authors of that insinuation cannot produce the least testimony to make it good, μένωμεν ὥσπερ ἐσμὲν, through the mercy and goodness of God, in the entire, unquestionable possession of his oracles once committed to the Jews, and the faith therein once committed to the saints."

Either should be fine grammatically, one is the indicative and one is the subjunctive; I am not sure in this case it makes a ton of difference. Something like "let us remain as we are" vs. "we remain as we are."

You should always watch your grammer :p And maybe Owen couldn't make up his mind:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RXhmAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA386&lpg=PA386&dq="μένομεν+ὥσπερ+ἔσμεν"

I noticed that too; the only place that the phrase came up in my logos library was in Owen - in both formulations.

As an aside, nice to see another PRC man online here; I just listened to Pastor Mohon's address to the FCC and found it encouraging. Hope to meet you face to face at some point and may the Lord bless you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back