See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

The Iron Chef discuss Salad dressing from scratch in the General Forums forums; We have a garden full of salad lettuce, but our supply of salad dressing dry mixes (add oil and vinegar or mayonaise) is running out. ...

Leslie is offline. Puritanboard Junior

Salad dressing from scratch

We have a garden full of salad lettuce, but our supply of salad dressing dry mixes (add oil and vinegar or mayonaise) is running out. We can buy mayonaise. Does anyone have suggestions for adding spices for making one's own dressing?
    Mary Vanderkooi
    Kale Heywott Church (KHC)
    Soddo, Ethiopia

Edward is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    olive oil, vinegar, oregeno, basil, salt, pepper, sugar. Use balsamic vinegar if available.
    Edward
    Deacon
    PCA
    Texas
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

seajayrice is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and tomato paste. A squeeze of lemon, a dab of dijon mustard maybe. First add the vinegar to the paste and whisk, otherwise you get a lumpy puree. Add everything else to taste. Bon appetit!
    CJ Rice
    Member Christ RPCNA
    East Providence, RI
    Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Laura is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Not sure what sorts of things in the allium family you have in Ethiopa, but roasted garlic is one of my favorite dressing bases. You can "roast" it vigilantly on the stovetop over medium heat---don't peel the garlic, just separate the cloves of a head or two and shake the skillet fairly frequently, cooking for about 15 minutes or until very soft and a little browned. This mostly kills the "bite" garlic has in raw form and brings out a creaminess and sweetness that makes the most amazing dressing. With two heads of garlic you can make this dressing:
    1/4 c. roasted garlic (yes, that much)
    3 Tbsp. olive oil
    2 Tbsp. water
    2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp fresh minced thyme, or a pinch dried
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    Blend in a food processor or blender. Keeps up to 4 days in fridge.

I like to add a small amount of minced (raw) shallot or red onion to whatever dressing I am making; without it they just tend to taste shallow and bland to me. A pinch of sugar can add balance, and any kind of whole grain or Dijon mustard also gives a depth of flavor and a kick.
    Laura
    member of Grace PCA, Douglasville, GA
    I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and my supplications.
    Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.
    Psalm 116:1-2

JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    1 part red wine vinegar
    1 part dijon mustard (make sure you like the flavor of the dijon mustard NOT all dijon mustards are the same, some are bitter tasting and will ruin the dressing)
    crushed garlic (to taste)

Thoroughly mix together and slowly add while mixing

2 parts virgin olive oil

In order to keep the salad dressing mixed, you need to mix the mustard and vinegar together first before adding the oil. This is the best salad dressing I've ever had. The recipe came from rural France.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/

TexanRose is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    A recipe for ranch dressing:

Texan Rose: Homemade Ranch Dressing

This stuff is delicious! You start with equal parts mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk soured with vinegar, then add spices. If you don't have sour cream you can use two parts mayonnaise instead.
    Sharon
    Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland
    Houston, Texas