The Iron Chef discuss How Do You Store Bacon Grease? in the General Forums forums; About 6 months ago I found a recipe for bacon fried rice that required I strain bacon grease off the bacon and use it to ...

JM
    JM is offline. Puritanboard Professor

How Do You Store Bacon Grease?

About 6 months ago I found a recipe for bacon fried rice that required I strain bacon grease off the bacon and use it to fry rice in it. I've been straining off the bacon grease every time I make bacon since then.

How do you store bacon grease?

How long does it last in the fridge?

Thanks.

j
    PS: Tonight I made perogies and fried them in bacon grease
    Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

We must remember that literally all our salvation is in Christ. - Herman Hoeksema

PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Blog Entries
    We have always just kept it out in a metal container on the stove. We never have refrigerated it. I have a can I drain bacon grease into on top of my stove right now. And I use the grease often. My family has always done that.

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

"Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington

RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Randy is correct.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    I have kept it in the fridge in an airtight plastic container for about a month with no smell of turning. Pour it fresh into a sanitized container, that is the key to keep it from turning on you. I love it for home fries, perogies sounds yummy also.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25

MrMerlin777 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    The fats in the grease will go rancid in time though, so if you're not cooking with it regularly you may want to find a way to prolong the "shelf life" the way Rich mentioned is one good way.

Like most that have chimed in already, I pour it off into a metal grease container. But we don't generally use it for anything and after it is cool we dispose of it in the trash.

(Just an aside, it's not generally a good idea to wash grease down the drain as it can clog one's pipes over time.)
    Donald Jacobs
    Roanoke VA.
    Covenant Reformed Episcopal Church.

Cum vero infirmor tunc potens sum.

Grace Alone is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    It's also not very good for you, so do use it sparingly!
    Janis
    Christ Church ARP, NC
    "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved." Eph. 1:3-6 ESV

Knoxienne is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMerlin777 View Post
    Like most that have chimed in already, I pour it off into a metal grease container. But we don't generally use it for anything and after it is cool we dispose of it in the trash.
    That's what we do. I make breakfast and pour the grease from the griddle into an old coffee mug, let it harden and cool and then ask Bill to scoop it into the trash. It's yucky - don't want to touch it. Yeah, I'm a wimp. I know.
    Toni Cunningham, Wife of Bill (Theognome)
    Parkwoods OPC, Overland Park KS

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien, As, to be hated, needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, We first endure, then pity, then embrace." ~ Alexander Pope

MrMerlin777 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace Alone View Post
    It's also not very good for you, so do use it sparingly!
    Indeed, it can do the same thing to one's arteries that it can do to one's plumming pipes clog them up.
    Donald Jacobs
    Roanoke VA.
    Covenant Reformed Episcopal Church.

Cum vero infirmor tunc potens sum.

Blog Entries
    If you are into canning, you can probably keep it for years without refrigeration. My aunt canned sausage and I know it was good for 2 years.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA

JM
    Thanks folks.

Can you add new grease to older grease?
    Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

We must remember that literally all our salvation is in Christ. - Herman Hoeksema

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JM View Post
    Thanks folks.

Yes for short term with no refrigeration or canning. I would keep it separate and date it. That way you would use the oldest first and insure rotation of stock.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA

Ivan is offline. Pastor
    Quote Originally Posted by JM View Post
    Thanks folks.

Yes.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Ivan Schoen ~ [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]The Church in [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]Poplar Grove, IL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]=================================[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black]"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." ~ Henry David Thoreau[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=black][/LEFT]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

JM
    Excellent, thank you.
    Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

caddy is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    It's better than Dapper Dan and Twice as good as FOP. It makes your hair shiny!

Mindaboo is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    We keep ours in a plastic container on the counter. I use it to fry eggs, potatos, and deer meat. It adds great flavor to your food.
    Mindy
    Wife to Brad
    Mom to Austin, Taylor, William, Leah and Julia
    "I seek an inheritance incorruptible, undefiled, and that fadeth not away; and it is laid up in heaven, and safe there, to be bestowed, at the time appointed, on them that diligently seek it." John Bunyan "The Pilgrim's Progress"

Jennie is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    My mom (born 1912 in Tennessee) always poured the morning bacon grease into a glass jar, a Mason jar or a peanut butter jar. She kept it in the refrigerator and added each morning's grease. When she needed some for cooking, she just scrapped it off the top. In case you're looking for a great recipe, slice up 5 or 6 baby crook-necked squash, add finely minced onion and about a tablespoon of bacon grease, salt and pepper to taste, water to cover, and cook it in an iron skillet for about an hour. It's absolutely delicious!

puritanpilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I dump mine in the lawn.
    Aaron Josh Wright
    Grace Family Baptist, Spring TX
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.as...d=Aaron_Wright

SolaScriptura is offline now. Puritanboard Softy
    We put bacon grease in a class jar and store it in the fridge. We just scoop out some whenever we want to fry some eggs or potatoes.
    Ben
    Chaplain, US Army
    Stuttgart, Germany
    TE Potomac Presbytery, PCA
    www.thebenaddiction.com

"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'would an idiot do that?' And if they would, I do not do that thing." -- Dwight Schrute

"I've been so thoroughly trained that I don't even need to think before I speak." -- Harry Crumb

Quickened is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    I had to laugh because just the mention of bacon grease was making me hungry
    Brian E
    Member Falls OPC
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm 28:7
    The Lord is my Strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song i give thanks to Him.

reformed trucker is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by puritanpilgrim View Post
    I dump mine in the lawn.
    Bacon flavored nightcrawlers... bet you have some fat robins!
    Michael Tremmel
    attending Christ Reformed Baptist Church
    Hales Corners, WI.

Isaiah 46:5-11

I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Ps.16:8 ESV

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. 1 Cor.15:10a ESV

Praecepta docent, exempla movent (precepts teach, but examples move)

Quote Originally Posted by reformed trucker View Post
    I dump mine in the lawn.
    Bacon flavored nightcrawlers... bet you have some fat robins!
    Brian E
    Member Falls OPC
    Menomonee Falls, WI

The Lord is my Strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song i give thanks to Him.

kvanlaan is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Store it? How do you not use all you have? We normally use it within days of having produced it.

In summer, it can turn on you. However, we've kept it a long time through winter sitting on the counter when we've had enough of a surplus not to use it within hours.

I'm a huge fan of bacon drippings. Yum.
    Kevin, husband of a truly angelic woman, and father to twelve.
    Zion United Reformed Church of Sheffield
    Ontario, Canada

Blue Tick is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    I dump mine in the lawn.
    I dump mine on my neighbor's lawn. Just kidding!

Actually, the best way to store bacon fat is to place it in a plastic covered container and store it in the refrigerator. It should stay good for 4-6 months. After that I would disgard it. Room temperature food after 2 hours begins to grown bacteria.
    John
    Christ Presbyterian Church (OPC)
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    [url]www.christpres.net[/url]

OPC'n is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PuritanCovenanter View Post
    We have always just kept it out in a metal container on the stove. We never have refrigerated it. I have a can I drain bacon grease into on top of my stove right now. And I use the grease often. My family has always done that.
    Yep, yep! That's what I do
    sarah
    providence (Only Perfect Church)
    wi coldest snowiest state in the union

Grymir is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    We just keep a plastic tupperware in the fridge and store it there. It will last about forever. Greese forms an airtight seal that will keep the air out. So go ahead. Save some bacon grease and enjoy using it. Much better than margerine or that fake I can't believe its some kind of chemical butter junk. That stuff has so many chemicals in it that they are a walking cancer trap. Go for the good stuff!!!!
    Timothy Johnson
    First United Presbyterian of Moline
    PCUSA (Yea, I know)
    Theology/Philosophy Sunday School Teacher
    Davenport, IA

ewenlin is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grymir View Post
    We just keep a plastic tupperware in the fridge and store it there. It will last about forever. Greese forms an airtight seal that will keep the air out. So go ahead. Save some bacon grease and enjoy using it. Much better than margerine or that fake I can't believe its some kind of chemical butter junk. That stuff has so many chemicals in it that they are a walking cancer trap. Go for the good stuff!!!!
    Never heard bacon grease as the healthier choice!
    Ewen
    1689 LBCF
    Trinity Theological College.
    Perth, Australia

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    If you aren't using your bacon fat to make your own soap then you are missing out in the whole circle of life adventure.

Little House in the Suburbs: Making Soap from Kitchen Grease
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

LawrenceU is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I intentionally buy fat bacon and fry up a batch once a week just for the grease. We keep it in a mason jar in the fridge. That is a concession to my wife. I had never seen anyone keep it anywhere but next to the stove until I got married. Growing up we had a can that matched my mother's canister set that had 'Bacon Grease' on the front. Under the lid was a removable strainer. I wish I could find one.
    'There's nae jouking in the cause of Christ' - James Guthrie

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    Pastor - Providence Family Fellowship / Mobile, Alabama
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

BobVigneault is offline. Bawberator
    There's a bunch around Lawrence. Saw an aluminum one on eBay but I don't trust aluminum around food. Filter Chef makes one and here's a nice stainless steel one.

We use a pretty ceramic jar my wife picked up.
    When it comes to havoc, I WREAK!
    Bob Vigneault
    Seventy And Fourteen (blog)
    The Heartbeat of Heaven (blog)
    Spiritual Warfare (blog)
    Member, Grace Evangelical Free Church (Reforming!), Afton, WI
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Cool. Thanks.

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

I was bouncing around the net regarding this topic and wound up on this video! Its just gotta be good!

Brian E
    Member Falls OPC
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Lawrence was it something like this?

What do you guys use as a filter? I've never done this before but i found myself disposing of some grease just yesterday and didnt actually think of saving it for future use.
    Brian E
    Member Falls OPC
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Quickened View Post
    Lawrence was it something like this?

What do you guys use as a filter? I've never done this before but i found myself disposing of some grease just yesterday and didnt actually think of saving it for future use.
    Not really, the can was shorter than tall and was squarish with rounded corners. The label on it was vertical, gold on black. The strainer was a plate perforated by many dozens of small holes. The handle on the lid was a truncated inverted cone made of bakelite. It had been my great grandmother's.

I wonder how long it takes to save up enough bacon grease to fry a turkey?!

ACCCCHHKKK. They are drinking and frying! Big no no.
    Last edited by LawrenceU; 05-19-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

We don't fry as much bacon as is Scripturally warranted, but we do render lard ourselves. This is also a great alternative to chemical garbage and it is dirt cheap. Great for cooking.
    Ontario, Canada

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    The easiest place to store bacon grease is around your middle. No effort required. Just enjoy the bacon and the storage is free
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

Agreed. Kinda hard to cook with at that point, though.
    Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kvanlaan View Post
    We don't fry as much bacon as is Scripturally warranted, but we do render lard ourselves. This is also a great alternative to chemical garbage and it is dirt cheap. Great for cooking.
    So true. Land is digestible, unlike hydrogenated oils. And, it makes better biscuits, pie crust, and anything else you need shortening in.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice

reformed trucker is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceU View Post
    So true. Land is digestible,
    Is that what they mean by "living off the land"?
    Michael Tremmel
    attending Christ Reformed Baptist Church
    Hales Corners, WI.

Isaiah 46:5-11

I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Ps.16:8 ESV

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. 1 Cor.15:10a ESV

Praecepta docent, exempla movent (precepts teach, but examples move)

Quote Originally Posted by reformed trucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceU View Post
    So true. Land is digestible,
    Is that what they mean by "living off the land"?
    Oops.

Lawrence Underwood, Jr.
    LBC
    My Blog - Imprimis

Deo Vindice