Commentaries discuss J.P. Lange :Commentary on the Holy Scriptures (63 Vols.) - in the The Literary Forum forums; Anyone has or is familiar with: Lange J.P. - Commentary on the Holy Scriptures (63 Vols.) ? Is it a technical commentary and is it ...

Mayflower is offline. Puritanboard Junior

J.P. Lange :Commentary on the Holy Scriptures (63 Vols.) -

Anyone has or is familiar with:
    Lange J.P. - Commentary on the Holy Scriptures (63 Vols.) ?

Is it a technical commentary and is it pretty difficult to read ?
    I heard that Shaff transelated it.
    * Ralph Wilms (7-10-1974)
    * Church : Becoming catholic

It is clear that he does not pray, who, far from uplifting himself to God, requires that God shall lower Himself to him, and who resorts to prayer not to stir the man in us to will what God wills, but only to persuade God to will what the man in us wills."-ST. THOMAS AQUINAS (12251274)

Contra_Mundum is offline. Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger
    Most American library editions (modern editions) are bound in considerably fewer volumes, more like 20. I have such a set, published in the late 1800s, rebound. The paper in some of the books is quite brittle.

It is basically of the same era as Keil & Delitzsch. Many and various authors, some more liberal than others. Generally, the American translators (who frequently added quite a bit of material as notations) were as much or more conservative than the European originals.

Philip Schaff was the general editor/translator of the American edition. He drew widely on a broad spectrum of North American scholars, trying to ensure the set had wide appeal. The quality of the whole would probably be said to be "uneven" by modern standards. But there is some material there, in the form of quotations especially, that is simply unavailable elsewhere.

For example, I learned Calvin's interpretation of the "Witch of Endor" through such a reference and short quotation (in English translation) from his sermons (Fr.) on 1Sam, something totally unavailable in English. (Calvin is right, by the way!)

The commentaries can be read and digested by a layman. There is the kind of original language reference you will find in K&D in the expositional segments, but also doctrinal and practical sections. It is dated, but can still be made use of. However, I wouldn't buy it unless I could get it at a drastic discount. I did pay what I considered to be a very good price for the books I own, probably just under $10 a volume. Today, I would have a hard time justifying even that expense, opting instead for the extra functionality of an electronic version, especially at around the same price.
    Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan
    ChainOLakes Presbyterian Church, CentralLake, MI

Made both Lord and Christ--Jesus, the Destroyer
    Acts 2:36 - 1 Cor. 10:9-10 & 15:22-26 - Hebrews 2:9-15 - 1 John 3:8 - James 4:12

When posting friends, kindly bear those words of earthly wisdom in mind:

Oh, that God the gift would give us
    To see ourselves as others see us.
    --Robert Burns, 1786 (modernized) ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Sermons

Guido's Brother is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I have the Lange set published by Zondervan in 1960 and have used it many times with great profit.
    Wes Bredenhof, Th.D.
    Pastor, Providence Canadian Reformed Church
    Hamilton, Ontario
    www.bredenhof.ca

Prufrock is offline. Arbitrary Moderation
    If you wanted to check it out for yourself, there are a few (at least 2 or 3) volumes on Google Books; that might help you better know if it's something you would want.
    Paul
    On "Temporary Leave"
    Please feel free to contact me by Private Message, but please include your email address.