Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 65.85%
  • No

8 19.51%
  • Yes, but only when headguards are worn to prevent serious injury

6 14.63%

Sports discuss Is Boxing Ethical? in the Entertainment and Humor forums; Not sure this is in the right forum, but its a good question nevertheless....

Reformed Covenanter is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries

Is Boxing Ethical?

Not sure this is in the right forum, but its a good question nevertheless.
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland
    "May that happy period soon arrive when the unclouded glory of divine revelation will shine from pole to pole; when men every where will see eye to eye, in all things that are connected with divine glory, and with their own eternal felicity." William Stavely (Irish Covenanter), An appeal to light (1796), pp 143-4

JM
    JM is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    As a martial artists who has studied and boxed since I was a kid I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

We must remember that literally all our salvation is in Christ. - Herman Hoeksema

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JM View Post
    As a martial artists who has studied and boxed since I was a kid I don't see anything wrong with it.
    I guess the counter-argument is that if a man is injured in the ring, then his opponent has committed an act of violence against him. That is why I think all boxing should be done with head-guards to prevent serious injury.
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland
    "May that happy period soon arrive when the unclouded glory of divine revelation will shine from pole to pole; when men every where will see eye to eye, in all things that are connected with divine glory, and with their own eternal felicity." William Stavely (Irish Covenanter), An appeal to light (1796), pp 143-4

JM
    JM is offline. Puritanboard Professor
    No, I wouldn't consider it violence against another person, the other man bested him in a fair competition...just like wrestling or football.
    Jason
    Particular Baptist
    Ontario, Canada
    twitter
    Feileadh Mor
    YouTube

We must remember that literally all our salvation is in Christ. - Herman Hoeksema

Bygracealone is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I enjoy watching UFC (mixed martial arts) fighting, but at times I have wondered if the fighters are violating the sixth commandment and if they are then I certainly shouldn't be entertained by it...

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Bygracealone; 12-13-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarification of UFC
    Pastor Steve Bradley
    Trinity Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    www.trinityrpc.org
    www.sermonaudio.com/trinityrpc
    www.reformedvoice.com/trinityrpc
    Riva, MD

Semper Fidelis is offline. 2 Timothy 2:24-25
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely yes. Boxing is something I hate to do but something that every man should be required to do at least once. It's not about the violence but about focus, discipline, and overcoming fear.

Do you suppose Paul used so many references to athletes who were training their bodies for no reason? I have had to do a number of things I didn't want to do but knew I had to overcome fear to do and discipline myself to do. It has a steeling effect upon the body and the mind. That kind of mental toughness is required in this world.

Now, some boxers are not too bright but that's a different story.
    Rich
    Ruling Elder, Licentiate, Under Care, Hope of Christ Church (PCA), Northern VA
    Student, New Geneva Theological Seminary

WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to build and promote your web site.
    SoliDeoGloria.com - A Community for Reformed Thought and Discussion

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFideles View Post
    Absolutely yes. Boxing is something I hate to do but something that every man should be required to do at least once. It's not about the violence but about focus, discipline, and overcoming fear.

Do you suppose Paul used so many references to athletes who were training their bodies for no reason? I have had to do a number of things I didn't want to do but knew I had to overcome fear to do and discipline myself to do. It has a steeling effect upon the body and the mind. That kind of mental toughness is required in this world.

Now, some boxers are not too bright but that's a different story.

I am not against the discipline of sports in general, but boxing (at least without headguards) does seem to be an organised form of violence in which a man is putting himself at unnecessary risk. This is because the boxer is delibertately trying to injure his opponent. Its not like other sports such as American football and rugby which involve manly horseplay.
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland

py3ak is offline. They're stalling and plotting against me
    I love the phrase "manly horseplay". And I have no problem with boxing as long as it is Northern Long Fist.
    Ruben: Administrator
    NCCC-OP
    Steger, IL

...the very necessaries of life are mortal. -Seneca

Board Rules - Signature Requirements - Suggestions?

Teología en Mexico
    The Howling Wilderness

thekingsknight is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I did some amateur boxing back in the day. Nothing wrong with it, but we did use protective equipment to prevent injury.
    Ted Shipley
    Palmdale, CA
    Member of Centinela Baptist Church
    Lawndale, CA

[A] workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thekingsknight View Post
    I did some amateur boxing back in the day. Nothing wrong with it, but we did use protective equipment to prevent injury.

Yeah, I think that is the position I would favour.
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland

etexas is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    It may or may not be ethical, but I sure get a kick out of watching those feather weights on ESPN....those Cats are FAST, I wouldn't jack with 'em!.....the best way to answer the question is with a question.....
    etexas, , Servant Of Christ, Saint Mary Magdalene.

Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    I am mixed on this issue. UFC I think is sin, it is violence and the goal is to hurt. It is hard to love your neighbor and still try to hurt them.

NOt as far along the continuum is boxing. Teaching precision and skills has nothing to do with the ethicity of a recreation. Being a seriel killer also would require some discipline, skills, etc. Boxing, just like the UFC, requires that you hurt someone to win (knock out). It is hard to separate victory from the desire to hurt someone and it is impossible not to aim for the pain of the other.

Other martial arts are in a different class. In Judo, a perfect throw (onto a mat) wins the match, or a pin. In wrestling, the same thing. One need not scramble a fella's brains to win. Technique is king.

By the way, I did all these in the past. I think mixed martial arts is wrong (one HAS to try to hurt someone), boxing is also out (one HAS to try to hurt someone), but judo and Ju Jitsu and some other martial arts are in because your goal of winning need not come at severe physical pain to your opponent that is often lasting.

FInally, the medical factor is involved. WE all know that these boxers are mostly mushy headed from being hit. Boxers have higher rates of senility, etc and enjoying a sport that glorifies brawn and not brains to the long term detriment of these boxers being often damaged is not excusable.

I do think that every young man should be engaged in tests of toughness, and this is especially true if a nation lives in threat. For the armed services whose aim is to learn to kill, all varieties of violence should be practiced.
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

Blog Entries
    Forgive my ignorance brother but what is "UFC"?
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland

Ultimate Fighting Championship
    Ted Shipley
    Palmdale, CA
    Lawndale, CA

[A] workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingsknight View Post
    Ultimate Fighting Championship
    I am training for that.

Blog Entries
    What then is "Ultimate Fighting Championship"?
    Daniel
    RPCI
    Northern Ireland

PuritanCovenanter is offline. The Norseman Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ritchie View Post
    What then is "Ultimate Fighting Championship"?
    It is a mixed martial arts boxing sanctioned organization. Ultimate Fighting Championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norseman Moderator

Randy Martin Snyder
    RPCNA Covenanter's Blog

"Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."
    William Symington

RSI FacebookReformation Society of Indiana
    Twitter RPCNACovenanter
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions? -- Joining PB Politics and Government Forums

beej6 is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    I frankly don't understand why anyone would follow "professional" boxing which IMHO is the most corrupt of all the "major" sports today. When the object is to deliberately injure your opponent to the point of concussion, it ceases to be a sport.
    I have no issue with amateur boxing - I voted the "headguard" option - as well as matches among amateurs who are so relatively less skilled that the chance of serious injury is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by beej6 View Post
    ...amateurs who are so relatively less skilled that the chance of serious injury is rare.
    Hmm! How so?
    Ted Shipley
    Palmdale, CA
    Lawndale, CA

I think Don King's "dew" is the most unsavory part! Otherwise a fun sport to watch!

JoeRe4mer is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I believe that this is truly a matter of Christian conscience. If one Boxes with the goal of trying to seriously and permanently injure others, then I would say that its obviously wrong motivation.
    However, if one boxes for love of the sport, in a safe, gentlemanly way, then I see nothing wrong with it. I have trained in Martial arts for many years and I have yet to be hurt seriously, or hurt anybody else in training, praise God. Bumps and bruises yes, but no serious injuries.
    All sports have an element of danger, personally I would be far more scared to be a stunt man, a race car driver, or even a police officer. These activities are by far more dangerous than simply boxing, yet don't carry a negative stigma about them. I think we often forget that the boxers and martial artists are "professionals", they do this for a living and are able to avoid many, if not most serious injuries because of their skill level. Do accidents and even tragedies happen at times? Yes, but show me a sport, or ANY PROFESSION for that matter, where this is not the case.
    Last edited by JoeRe4mer; 12-14-2007 at 12:36 AM.
    Joe
    Providence Reformed Baptist Chuch, Toledo Ohio
    2nd London Baptist Confession of Faith 1689

And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live; yea, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live. Ezk 16:6

BLD
    BLD is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I grew up boxing. One of my friends is a top ranked contender in the UFC. I think most people do it unethically, but I'm not so sure it has to be. It seems strange to us that a man can punch a man in the face and feel no different than most of us do when we capture our opponent's queen in chess, but I've done it and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a cold dead heart some of those times. I'm sure I could be wrong though. If the issue comes down to one of health, well...I can list quite a few occupations that we'd have to deem unethical in that case, like shoveling 300 degree asphalt in 100 degree weather.
    Ben Dahlvang
    BGC, St. Paul, MN

"The devil’s singing over me An age old song
    That I am cursed and gone astray
    Singing the first verse so conveniently
    He’s forgotten the refrain
    Jesus saves!" (Shane Barnard, Embracing Accusation)

Dieter Schneider is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries
    Reading this entry reminded me of Telemachus, recalled by Henry Chadwick
    It seems unconceivable to me that a first century Christian would have been involved in boxing.
    Independent Baptist Church (NE England, nr. Durham)