Results 1 to 12 of 12

Puritan Publications discuss The Covenant of God - By Rev. Thomas Blake in the Updates & Information forums; Blake's work is a master treatise on Covenant Theology. This is a tome of the highest caliber on a topic that is most needful to ...

  1. #1
    C. Matthew McMahon's Avatar
    C. Matthew McMahon is offline. Owner and Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,566

    The Covenant of God - By Rev. Thomas Blake

    Blake's work is a master treatise on Covenant Theology. This is a tome of the highest caliber on a topic that is most needful to be understood by the Evangelical Church today – Covenant Theology and inclusion in the Covenant of God.

    Blake was one of the Westminster Divines. He wrote this work because even in his day there was a need to understand what Westminster put into print. He was extremely passionate about Covenant Theology.

    It is 696 pages long and is worth every moment of working through his arguments on Covenant Theology.

    After reading this 696 page work in 8 days My wife said, "those who are familiar with Covenant Theology will gain much knowledge from this work - in leaps and bounds. Blake's treatment of Scripture, the Fathers, the Reformers, and the Puritans is a breath of fresh air." She couldn't put it down.

    For info on it click HERE

    If you would rather buy a less expensive digital copy, then check it out HERE

    C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
    John 5:39, "...search the Scriptures..."

    A PURITAN'S MIND website is growing!
    www.apuritansmind.com
    Puritan and Reformed eBooks and digital downloads at the PURITAN SHOP www.puritanshop.com
    Minister - Christ Presbyterian Church
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  2. #2
    charliejunfan's Avatar
    charliejunfan is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,181
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thank you so much for your site and the resources offered therein, it is my favorite.
    [I][B]~ Charles Stephen Barribeau ~[/B][/I]
    :vantil:[URL="http://christ-opc.org/default.aspx"][B]Christ Presbyterian Church[/B] [/URL], [B]OPC[/B] (They sing alot of Psalms!)
    [B]:manton:Original Westminster Standards[/B] (I need to study more...)
    :gillespie:[B]The Puritans were best! Also... I NEED TO READ MORE!!![/B]
    :calvin:[B]Philipians1:29(KJV) For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;[/B]

    [B]Janesville, Wisconsin[/B] [I][B](In the fellowship of Bob Vigneault and Matt+Megan Meisberger)[/B][/I]

  3. #3
    C. Matthew McMahon's Avatar
    C. Matthew McMahon is offline. Owner and Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,566
    Thanks brother. Your encouragement is really uplifting.

    The site is tough to keep up, espeically in light of having larger works to work on while having a full time job. This work took about 8 months longer. I've been so burnt out that I needed to take this one slowly, and I was happy to have my wife work on it with me.

    But it was worth it in the long run.

    I also want to thank Sam and his team for helping with getting this work transcribed. That was a huge task in and of itself.
    C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
    John 5:39, "...search the Scriptures..."

    A PURITAN'S MIND website is growing!
    www.apuritansmind.com
    Puritan and Reformed eBooks and digital downloads at the PURITAN SHOP www.puritanshop.com
    Minister - Christ Presbyterian Church
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  4. #4
    Mayflower's Avatar
    Mayflower is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Matthew McMahon View Post
    Thanks brother. Your encouragement is really uplifting.

    The site is tough to keep up, espeically in light of having larger works to work on while having a full time job. This work took about 8 months longer. I've been so burnt out that I needed to take this one slowly, and I was happy to have my wife work on it with me.

    But it was worth it in the long run.

    I also want to thank Sam and his team for helping with getting this work transcribed. That was a huge task in and of itself.
    Dear Math,

    Good to hear about this work and also my sincere thanks for your service in this all!

    Question, how does this work on Covenant theology added anything new towards works from Witsius and any other puritan theologion whom has written on CT ? Any information would be helpfull!
    * Ralph Wilms (7-10-1974)
    * Church : Becoming catholic

    It is clear that he does not pray, who, far from uplifting himself to God, requires that God shall lower Himself to him, and who resorts to prayer not to stir the man in us to will what God wills, but only to persuade God to will what the man in us wills."-ST. THOMAS AQUINAS (12251274)

  5. #5
    jandrusk's Avatar
    jandrusk is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    591
    Blog Entries
    2
    I would like to offer up thanks and my services should you need any help. My primary calling is computer security, but I can program and make the computer do pretty much whatever I want it too. This book is going on my birthday list. Thanks again for all of your hard work and efforts.

  6. #6
    Peairtach's Avatar
    Peairtach is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,439
    Dear Matthew,

    This site is invaluable for helping us to understand and grow in the Reformed faith. Thank you for setting it up and maintaining it.

    I hope to get round to purchasing your digital books in the near future, DV.

    Yours in Christ,
    Richard.
    Richard Tallach
    communicant member,
    Knox Free Church,
    Perth, Scotland GB

    His Name forever shall endure;
    last like the sun it shall:
    Men shall be blessed in Him,
    and blessed all nations shall Him call (Ps. 72:17)

  7. #7
    C. Matthew McMahon's Avatar
    C. Matthew McMahon is offline. Owner and Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Matthew McMahon View Post
    Thanks brother. Your encouragement is really uplifting.

    The site is tough to keep up, espeically in light of having larger works to work on while having a full time job. This work took about 8 months longer. I've been so burnt out that I needed to take this one slowly, and I was happy to have my wife work on it with me.

    But it was worth it in the long run.

    I also want to thank Sam and his team for helping with getting this work transcribed. That was a huge task in and of itself.
    Dear Math,

    Good to hear about this work and also my sincere thanks for your service in this all!

    Question, how does this work on Covenant theology added anything new towards works from Witsius and any other puritan theologion whom has written on CT ? Any information would be helpfull!
    Ralph,

    The work is exhaustive. It covers every area that books like this often miss. For example, how does a pastor deal with a grandfather who bring his grandchildren to church without the father who acts like a heathen? Are the children to be included under the grandfather? Questions like these, even practically, are considered by Blake.

    "He doth exhaust the subject practically speaking in my opinion."

    The only drawback - you are reading source material from a 17th century Puritan Divine. Thus, its typical puritanical old English.

    Its my task currently to put together a work that follows Witsius' outline in a more readable and easy form covering everything in modern English for the modern reader. But that will take time. I'm 2/3rds of the way through now.

    However, Blake's work is nothing short of Scriptural, and awesome.
    C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
    John 5:39, "...search the Scriptures..."

    A PURITAN'S MIND website is growing!
    www.apuritansmind.com
    Puritan and Reformed eBooks and digital downloads at the PURITAN SHOP www.puritanshop.com
    Minister - Christ Presbyterian Church
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  8. #8
    Mayflower's Avatar
    Mayflower is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Matthew McMahon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayflower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Matthew McMahon View Post
    Thanks brother. Your encouragement is really uplifting.

    The site is tough to keep up, espeically in light of having larger works to work on while having a full time job. This work took about 8 months longer. I've been so burnt out that I needed to take this one slowly, and I was happy to have my wife work on it with me.

    But it was worth it in the long run.

    I also want to thank Sam and his team for helping with getting this work transcribed. That was a huge task in and of itself.
    Dear Math,

    Good to hear about this work and also my sincere thanks for your service in this all!

    Question, how does this work on Covenant theology added anything new towards works from Witsius and any other puritan theologion whom has written on CT ? Any information would be helpfull!
    Ralph,

    The work is exhaustive. It covers every area that books like this often miss. For example, how does a pastor deal with a grandfather who bring his grandchildren to church without the father who acts like a heathen? Are the children to be included under the grandfather? Questions like these, even practically, are considered by Blake.

    "He doth exhaust the subject practically speaking in my opinion."

    The only drawback - you are reading source material from a 17th century Puritan Divine. Thus, its typical puritanical old English.

    Its my task currently to put together a work that follows Witsius' outline in a more readable and easy form covering everything in modern English for the modern reader. But that will take time. I'm 2/3rds of the way through now.

    However, Blake's work is nothing short of Scriptural, and awesome.
    Thanks for the information!

    Have you never considerd to publish:

    Francis Roberts' 1750-page magnum opus on the covenants "The Mystery and Marrow of the Bible: viz. God’s Covenants with Man, 1657" ?
    * Ralph Wilms (7-10-1974)
    * Church : Becoming catholic

    It is clear that he does not pray, who, far from uplifting himself to God, requires that God shall lower Himself to him, and who resorts to prayer not to stir the man in us to will what God wills, but only to persuade God to will what the man in us wills."-ST. THOMAS AQUINAS (12251274)

  9. #9
    C. Matthew McMahon's Avatar
    C. Matthew McMahon is offline. Owner and Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,566
    My grandfather looked far and wide for Robert's works, but did not acquire any and I don't have them. Unfortuntely. I'll look at some of my PDFs and see if he is there.

    It would be a good work to put into print.
    C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
    John 5:39, "...search the Scriptures..."

    A PURITAN'S MIND website is growing!
    www.apuritansmind.com
    Puritan and Reformed eBooks and digital downloads at the PURITAN SHOP www.puritanshop.com
    Minister - Christ Presbyterian Church
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  10. #10
    DMcFadden's Avatar
    DMcFadden is offline. Meum cerebrum nocet
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    10,015
    I just purchased the digital pack! Thanks, it is nice to have the digital form of the books I have already picked up from you.

    You do us all a great blessing, sir.
    Dennis E. McFadden, Ex Mainline Baptist (in Remission)
    Atherton Baptist Homes, Alhambra, CA, President/CEO, Retired
    Emmanuel Lutheran Church, LCMS

    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

  11. #11
    Mayflower's Avatar
    Mayflower is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Matthew McMahon View Post
    My grandfather looked far and wide for Robert's works, but did not acquire any and I don't have them. Unfortuntely. I'll look at some of my PDFs and see if he is there.

    It would be a good work to put into print.
    Iam sure that Joel Beeke would be as entusiastic as you, because i read somewhere that at the puritan seminary they have at their library the 3 or 4 volume work of Francis Roberts.
    * Ralph Wilms (7-10-1974)
    * Church : Becoming catholic

    It is clear that he does not pray, who, far from uplifting himself to God, requires that God shall lower Himself to him, and who resorts to prayer not to stir the man in us to will what God wills, but only to persuade God to will what the man in us wills."-ST. THOMAS AQUINAS (12251274)

  12. #12
    C. Matthew McMahon's Avatar
    C. Matthew McMahon is offline. Owner and Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,566
    I'd love to get them.
    C. Matthew McMahon, Ph.D., Th.D.
    John 5:39, "...search the Scriptures..."

    A PURITAN'S MIND website is growing!
    www.apuritansmind.com
    Puritan and Reformed eBooks and digital downloads at the PURITAN SHOP www.puritanshop.com
    Minister - Christ Presbyterian Church
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72