See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Evangelism, Missions and the Persecuted Church discuss I wish this were a joke.... in the The Church forums; The latest mission strategy: “Insider Movements” Apparently, according to some of these mission boards, you can call yourself a Christian while possessing a front that ...

J. Dean is offline. Puritanboard Junior

I wish this were a joke....

The latest mission strategy: “Insider Movements”

Apparently, according to some of these mission boards, you can call yourself a Christian while possessing a front that says Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, etc.

What bothers me most is that one of those boards is linked to the SBC, and of all the denominations that I would think oppose this, it would be the SBC!
    J. Dean, author
    EPC
    Flint, Michigan

“If your preaching of the gospel of God's free grace in Jesus Christ does not provoke the charge from some of antinomianism, you're not preaching the gospel of the free grace of God in Jesus Christ.”
    ― D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

AlexanderHenderson1647 is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I'd heard of this for the first time about 15 years ago. A "mission" to the Muslims involved "missionaries" performing all Muslim lifestyle and acts of public worship, ex. going to the minaret and perform ritual prayers in mosques. As conversations came up the "missionaries" would tell their fellow pilgrims that they were "praying to Allah through the prophet Jesus."
    Christopher Henderson
    But a simple pew-warmer, Cornerstone OPC
    Dayton, TN
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Rich Koster is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    This is the same ilk as the New Apostolic Reformation's "Indigenous Missionaries" movement. Syncretism 101.
    Rich Koster
    Browns Mills NJ USA
    Member of Covenant Baptist, Lumberton NJ (1689ers)
    http://cbclumberton.wordpress.com/

Thankful that I'm not saved by merit badges
    Romans 7:14-25

Supersillymanable is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    This reminds me of Paul Washer's 10 indictments against the modern church. One of them, was that we have sacrificed holiness and doctrinal integrity to be "relevant" and be able to share the gospel. What we should actually be doing, is being utterly holy and by being different from the world, which is how we become relevant. A watered down Gospel is not relevant to the world. How could they deny Christ's deity (referring to Him merely as a prophet?!) to reach others?! This bemuses me...
    Lawrence Mason
    Lay-person
    Grace Church Nottingham
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Pergamum is offline. Ordinary Guy (TM)
    Google Insider Movements.

Also, here is an article:

http://international.sojournchurch.c...-movements.pdf
    Pergamum

"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?"
    -- David Livingstone

Wayne is offline. Tempus faciendi, Domine.
    Not sure about other Presbyterian denominations, but the PCA has begun to speak to this issue:

http://www.pcaac.org/2012GeneralAsse...%205-17-12.pdf

See also

http://byfaithonline.com/insider-mov...ements-impact/
    Wayne Sparkman, Th.M., C.A.
    Director, PCA Historical Center, St. Louis, MO
    Blogs: The Continuing Story and This Day in Presbyterian History
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most , but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) [HT: Hamalas]

Leslie is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Messianic Jews have been around a long time. Is that the same or different than what you are condemning? I used to worship with a group of Messianic Jews in the States, enjoyed the culture and the OT holidays. There was nothing secret or deceptive about it. If that's wrong, why?
    Mary Vanderkooi
    Kale Heywott Church (KHC)
    Soddo, Ethiopia

J. Dean is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    Messianic Jews have been around a long time. Is that the same or different than what you are condemning? I used to worship with a group of Messianic Jews in the States, enjoyed the culture and the OT holidays. There was nothing secret or deceptive about it. If that's wrong, why?
    My concern with Messianic Jews is that the ones I know of (your associations may have been different) can't let go of some of the ceremonial laws, such as not eating pork or cheeseburgers (referring back to the command forbidding seething an animal in its mother's milk). They seemed to come dangerously close to running back to the law and mixing it with the gospel.

Now, again, you may not have had the same experience, but that was what I found.
    J. Dean, author
    EPC
    Flint, Michigan

“If your preaching of the gospel of God's free grace in Jesus Christ does not provoke the charge from some of antinomianism, you're not preaching the gospel of the free grace of God in Jesus Christ.”
    ― D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
    1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Andres is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    I used to worship with a group of Messianic Jews in the States, enjoyed the culture and the OT holidays. There was nothing secret or deceptive about it. If that's wrong, why?
    This seems like a topic for a new thread.
    Andrew Silva
    RE OPC (currently not serving)
    Dallas Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    North Dallas

My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

He is your friend who pushes you nearer to God. - Abraham Kuyper