See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Worship discuss Why two services on Sunday? in the The Church forums; What is the purpose of two services on Sunday? Is this something that is strictly American tradition? Or is there some biblical reasoning for it?...

shackleton is offline. Puritanboard Junior

Why two services on Sunday?

What is the purpose of two services on Sunday? Is this something that is strictly American tradition? Or is there some biblical reasoning for it?
    Erick Bohndorf, Risen Savior, Lutheran
    http://qayaqtraveler.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...90&ref=profile
    Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. Ecclesiastes

Herald is offline. Moderator
    1689 LBC 22.8:

The sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering their common affairs aforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all day, from their own works, words and thoughts, about their worldly employment and recreations, but are also taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.

If the sabbath belongs to the Lord, then we should avail ourselves to the gathering of the saints. I don't know why some churches have evening services and another don't. We don't have evening services and I freely admit that I miss gathering for evening worship. It's something that I greatly enjoy.
    Bill Brown
    Elder
    Grace Baptist Church
    Student at Midwest Center for Theological Studies

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Suggestions?

Dearly Bought is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Read chapter 8, "Whatever Happened to the Second Service?," from R. Scott Clark's Recovering the Reformed Confession. Trust me, you want this book.

Also, I might suggest listening to audio of Dr. Clark speaking on this topic if you can't wait to get the book.

Finally, try these two blog posts: Why a Second Service?, More on the Second Service.

I'm sure many others have addressed this subject matter. I've just particularly noticed Dr. Clark's passion for this subject.
    Bryan Peters
    Trinity Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Student of Theology Under Care of the Presbyterian Reformed Church
    Johnston, Iowa

The true visible church, where God's ordinances are set up as he hath appointed,
    where his word is purely preached, is the most beautiful thing under heaven,
    and there is God's glory set forth and manifested more clearly than in all the Lord's handiwork beside in heaven or earth.
    ~David Dickson~

Webservant is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    We have two morning services. I am not sure why; the auditorium could handle everyone.
    Rich Brown
    Deacon/Webmaster
    Aisquith PCA
    Parkville, MD

dannyhyde is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Here are some online thoughts from various men on two services: http://www.oceansideurc.org/ - Pilgrims & Parish (Danny Hyde)

In a nutshell, it is a biblical pattern that was followed in the ancient church through the Reformation and that continues today.

As another has said, read/listen to Scott Clark's stuff on this.
    Rev. Daniel R. Hyde, Th.M.
    Pastor, [URL="http://www.oceansideurc.org/"]Oceanside United Reformed Church[/URL], Carlsbad/Oceanside, California
    [URL="http://www.meetthepuritans.com/"]http://www.meetthepuritans.com/[/URL]

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by VirginiaHuguenot; 11-02-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    Andrew

ReformedWretch is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I'd be all for spending the entire day in Church but I suppose I'd be there alone

JonathanHunt is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by PuritanBouncer View Post
    I'd be all for spending the entire day in Church but I suppose I'd be there alone
    I'd join you!
    Jonathan Hunt

Pastor, Morton Baptist Church Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom since 2012

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. -- Thomas Elsworth

*Please note* I've been a member of this board for over ten years. Things I wrote in 2004 and intervening years do not neccessarily represent my attitudes or positions now. Thank you!

Sweet! I do wish the people of God would fellowship and worship in an all day kind of way. It would take some serious effort and planning but I'm convinced it could be done.

VictorBravo is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    So how many have three services? I thought that was sort of normal. We only recently went from three to two.
    R. Victor Bottomly
    Port Cities Reformed Baptist Church, Lewiston ID

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- How to access Politics and Government forum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanHunt View Post
    I'd join you!
    We spend the majority of the Lord's Day at church. Our services start at 10:00 for Sunday School; Worship at 11:00 - 12:45 or 1:00; Fellowship Meal from 1:00 to 2:15; afternoon Worship at 2:30, which usually lasts until about 4:00. We then normally spend an hour or more in fellowship before everyone heads home. All in all, a very nice day. We do this every Lord's Day.
    "Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?” - Zechariah 3:2

James Helbert, Wytheville, VA
    Providence Reformed Presbyterian Church, RPCUS

GraceAndLaw.net / The Edinburgh Inn

1 member(s) found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Presbyterian View Post
    I'd join you!
    We spend the majority of the Lord's Day at church. Our services start at 10:00 for Sunday School; Worship at 11:00 - 12:45 or 1:00; Fellowship Meal from 1:00 to 2:15; afternoon Worship at 2:30, which usually lasts until about 4:00. We then normally spend an hour or more in fellowship before everyone heads home. All in all, a very nice day. We do this every Lord's Day.
    That's pretty cool! Does everyone stay the whole time? What about those with very small children?

Blog Entries

I'd join you!
    That's pretty cool! Does everyone stay the whole time? What about those with very small children?
    We are a small congregation, 10 families, and 7 of those families stay regularly. There are a couple of mattresses in the cry room for the two youngest to nap on, when needed. The remainder of the small children find plenty to keep themselves busy either playing outside or in the "war room" during fellowship times. They are in the services, except during needed trips to the cry room, during worship and Sunday School. The older kids help keep an eye on the younger ones. A lovely time is had by all!

tellville is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    We have four services on Sunday, plus 2 youth services and 2 college services. We also meet every day of the week, Monday to Friday in the early morning. On Wednesday night we have an evening service and on Friday night is the Lord's Supper service.

I don't know if that's the most biblical model, but it is the model that allows the most attendance during the week. Our current building is much too small to contain everyone. So for us, it is purely an attendance issue.
    Mark Maney
    Auckland Chinese Presbyterian Church
    Trinity Western University, ACTS Seminaries
    Auckland, New Zealand

E Nomine is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Blog Entries
    In my home church it's logistical, as there are more parishioners than there is physical space. There is one worship service on Saturday evening, then four on Sunday.
    Goodbye

toddpedlar is offline. Iron Dramatist
    It seems some are confused about the original question. If I'm not mistaken, the original post was concerned with why churches have morning and evening worship services, both of which most of the church attends. This is an old practice - certainly no American innovation - that has its roots in the Biblical model of morning and evening prayers of the faithful.

Many of you seem to be answering the question "how many services does your church have", where what you're really referring to in your answer is a number of separate, mostly identical services that are necessary for some logistical reason or another, so that the whole membership is able to attend. Perhaps this is because the church sanctuary only holds 250 people, but there are 600 who attend on a given Sunday.

Two separate questions, and I'm pretty certain Erick was asking about the former, and not the latter, issue.
    Todd K. Pedlar
    member, First Congregational Church, (CCCC) Cresco, IA
    My Blog: In Principio Deus
    24/7 Reformed Internet Radio: Sola5 Radio

"As God did not at first choose you because you were high, He will not now forsake you because you are low."
    John Flavel in Keeping the Heart

Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum

raekwon is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    Hey, our only Sunday worship service is in the PM.
    Rae W. | Ruling Elder @ Grace Central Presbyterian Church (PCA) | Columbus, OH
    Vintage73

Galatians220 is offline. Inactive User
    Quote Originally Posted by raekwon View Post
    Hey, our only Sunday worship service is in the PM.
    Ours, too. We have a little family Bible and worship in the AM if nothing else is a possibility...

Margaret
    Margaret

shackleton is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    That's alright. Someone told me it was like putting a beginning and and end to the day. They also said that anytime there was a "call to worship" the believers should be there, barring some good reason not to.

I know when I went to a legalistic Pentecostal church it was an obligation to be at church every time the doors were open or else God was angry. I was assuming this was not the reason in the reformed churches and was just wondering was the reasoning was.
    Erick Bohndorf, Risen Savior, Lutheran
    http://qayaqtraveler.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...90&ref=profile
    Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. Ecclesiastes

Pilgrim is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    I'd join you!
    I have known of churches that have done this, in some cases because a number of the members travel long distances to worship.
    Chris
    Currently seeking a church--in transition
    One Pilgrims Progress |Twitter

And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come. Luke 19:13

Kim G is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    At our church we have a morning service at 10, a potluck meal together (every week), another service at 1, and then people just stay and talk for half of the afternoon. It's easy to spend most of the day at church! I love it.
    Kim G
    Mitchell Road Presbyterian Church
    Greenville, SC

Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name.
    Psalm 86:11

Romans922 is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    This assumes you have a worship service in the AM:

Preserve Evening Worship Services! « Tchula Presbyterian Church.
    Elder Andrew Barnes (PCA)
    Christ Presbyterian Church (Kansas City, MO)
    Sermon Audio
    Twitter

JBaldwin is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Historically, churches (at least in the Western world) have been meeting all day or twice a day for centuries. The Church of England has "evensong" and the RCC meets Saturday evening and Sunday morning. If I understand it correctly, the Saturday evening service in the RCC goes back to the idea that a day is sunset to sunset.

The protestant churches I attended in Europe in the 1980s met twice a day, though I don't think many do these days.
    J Baldwin
    Keowee Presbyterian Church, PCA
    Pickens, SC
    “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27

Check Out My Blog: http://reflectjoy.blogspot.com/

jawyman is offline. Puritanboard Junior
    I would suggest reading Psalms 92 - 97 for a biblical reason to worship the Living God day and night. Here is a good answer as to why we worship twice on the Sabbath.

How Great Are Your Works
    A Psalm. A Song for the Sabbath.

92:1 It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
    to sing praises to your name, O Most High;

92:2 to declare your steadfast love in the morning,
    and your faithfulness by night,

92:3 to the music of the lute and the harp,
    to the melody of the lyre.

92:4 For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work;
    at the works of your hands I sing for joy.

Psalm 92:1-4 ESV
    Jeff Wyman
    Little Farms Chapel OPC, Coopersville, MI
    www.calvinseminary.edu

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. - James 1:12 (ESV)

Selig ist der Mann, der die Anfechtung erduldet; denn nachdem er bewährt ist, wird er die Krone des Lebens empfangen, welche Gott verheißen hat denen, die ihn liebhaben. - Jakob 1:12 (LUT '45)

VirginiaHuguenot is offline. Puritanboard Librarian
    Blog Entries
    Thomas Doolittle also argues for sanctifying the whole Lord's Day on the basis of Psalm 92. The Young Man's Instructor, and the Old Man's Rembrancer, p. 292:

Do you not gather from Pfal. 92. which bears the title of a Pfalm or Fong for the Sabbath-day, that men fhould be employed early and late in religious duties on that day, when it is faid ver. 2 To shew forth thy loving kindnefs in the morning, and thy faithfulnefs (in the Hebr.) in the night? Yes.
    Andrew

Calvibaptist is offline. Dallas Cowboys' #1 Fan
    I'd join you!
    We used to do this same thing. We stopped after about 1 year. It was interesting that we would have about 60 people (children included) on Sunday morning and only about 10 stayed for Sunday after the meal.
    Doug Mixer
    Pastor, Grace Baptist Church
    Independent
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvibaptist View Post

I'd join you!
    We used to do this same thing. We stopped after about 1 year. It was interesting that we would have about 60 people (children included) on Sunday morning and only about 10 stayed for Sunday after the meal.
    We only have one family that sometimes leaves after the meal. Been doing it for going on 8 years now. It's a great way to spend the day, imo.

BTW, nice picture in your avatar! Very adorable!

Calvibaptist is offline. Dallas Cowboys' #1 Fan

Thanks. It is one of the best ways I could come up with to offset what the "evil" moderators have done to my name by making me seem like a Cowboys' fan.
    Doug Mixer
    Pastor, Grace Baptist Church
    Independent
    Maryland

OPC'n is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries

2 services? Why?

If the whole day belongs to the Lord and we feel we can only accomplish giving it to Him by having worship services (this being the definition and the reason for the title "Why two services on Sunday?"), then the logical thing to do is have worship service all day long with short breaks in which people can eat or whatever.

I think this shows that either a) we don't have service for as long as we should Acts 20:7 or b) having two services is being legalistic because it doesn't fulfill the requirement of giving to the Lord the whole day as defined above.
    sarah
    providence (Only Perfect Church)
    wi coldest snowiest state in the union

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvibaptist View Post

Thanks. It is one of the best ways I could come up with to offset what the "evil" moderators have done to my name by making me seem like a Cowboys' fan.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM