Worship discuss Prayer Meeting and women in the The Church forums; I would like to hear from PB members whether women are allowed to pray audibly in church gatherings or not - with Scriptural reasons for ...

Dieter Schneider is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Blog Entries

Prayer Meeting and women

I would like to hear from PB members whether women are allowed to pray audibly in church gatherings or not - with Scriptural reasons for either view.
    Independent Baptist Church (NE England, nr. Durham)

AV1611 is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Schneider View Post
    I would like to hear from PB members whether women are allowed to pray audibly in church gatherings or not - with Scriptural reasons for either view.
    No, the Scriptural rule of women remaining silent should be inforce.

BTW: I didn't realise you live in the NE!! I moved from Gateshead about seven months ago. I used to go here as a student.
    Richard
    CofE
    UK

ServantOfKing is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    I am a member of a PCA church and if a family is moving away or we have a special prayer time, women will pray aloud from their seats.
    At first I wasn't sure if I necessarily agreed with the practice because of women "keeping silent." In scripture though, Paul doesn't want them disrupting and asking questions which could be better asked at home. He also said they shouldn't have authority over a man or teach a man.
    So that helped me to understand, because praying to the Lord is not disruptive if done within the proper time given in the order of worship and praying is not instructing a man or having authority over him. It is just that - praying to the Lord.
    Ashley H.
    Member of Immanuel Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    DeLand, FL
    ~Wife to Mike~
    ~All good which could be thought or desired is to be found in Jesus Christ alone. - John Calvin~

JonathanHunt is offline. Puritanboard Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by AV1611 View Post
    No, the Scriptural rule of women remaining silent should be inforce.
    So logically, you would have the women silent during the singing as well?

I believe as has been stated the 'silence' pertains to specific areas - namely preaching/teaching, exercising authority, etc. You cannot use the text as a blanket rule because then you are making scripture contradict scripture.

JH
    Jonathan Hunt

Pastor, Morton Baptist Church Thornbury, South Gloucestershire, United Kingdom since 2012

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence. -- Thomas Elsworth

*Please note* I've been a member of this board for over ten years. Things I wrote in 2004 and intervening years do not neccessarily represent my attitudes or positions now. Thank you!

x.spasitel is offline. Inactive User
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanHunt View Post
    So logically, you would have the women silent during the singing as well?
    Well, it would seem to me that women singing is a part of the corporate worship of God, an act of the congregation. And I think what Paul is getting at is that women outside of the corporate worship should not have their lone voices heard...

I am still not certain on a fact of women praying in prayer meetings that are not public worship. I would tend, however, to think there is nothing wrong with it as long as the woman is not leading the meeting above a man.
    [b]Timotheus, servant of the Lord[/b]
    [(Timothy Merkel - Ellicott City, MD - Trinity Reformed Presbyterian Church)]
    [i]Ye who are the warriors of God
    And of the law of God
    Hope in God, believe in God,
    And in God you shall ever triumph[/i]

kvanlaan is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Don't mean to jump the tracks here, but is there an element of how it's done that concerns you? (i.e. is she covered when praying?)
    Kevin, husband of a truly angelic woman, and father to twelve.
    Zion United Reformed Church of Sheffield
    Ontario, Canada

ServantOfKing is offline. Puritanboard Freshman
    Do you mean, is she under the authority of her husband? Or do you mean head coverings?
    Sorry I was just confused as to what sort of covering you're referring to
    Ashley H.
    Member of Immanuel Presbyterian Church (PCA)
    DeLand, FL
    ~Wife to Mike~
    ~All good which could be thought or desired is to be found in Jesus Christ alone. - John Calvin~