See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Worship discuss John Calvin and the RPW in the The Church forums; Doesn't a following of the RPW state that gathered worship is only to be done on the Lords Day? If so, was John Calvin sinning ...

Joseph Scibbe is offline. Puritanboard Junior

John Calvin and the RPW

Doesn't a following of the RPW state that gathered worship is only to be done on the Lords Day? If so, was John Calvin sinning when he held daily services daily?
    Joseph Scibbe
    Chaplain Assistant
    Fort Lewis, WA

1 Thessalonians 2:4
    but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.

http://twitter.com/just_joe_scibbe

dudley is offline. Puritanboard Postgraduate
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unashamed 116 View Post
    Doesn't a following of the RPW state that gathered worship is only to be done on the Lords Day? If so, was John Calvin sinning when he held daily services daily?
    I think you are correct with your observation but I do not think calvin was sinning....I think he was showing daily reverence for Go only not considering what he did to be public worship..I may be wrong..but I believe I read that in a taext on the History of Protestantsim.
    In faith,
    Dudley
    I am a member of The First Presbyterian Church of Manasquan, New Jersey. I am also a member of their weekly Bible class. I am in the process of joining The First Presbyterian Church of Manasquan Men’s Ministry.www.fpcom.org/

May we all be Sons of the Reformation and continue to proclaim what it means to be Reformed Protestant Christians! Being Protestant means we protest heresy and we proclaim the truth of the Gospel.

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    No. Scotland had weekly [weekday] meetings as well. George Gillespie discusses this at several points in his Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies.
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.

MW
    MW is offline. Moderator
    Doesn't a following of the RPW state that gathered worship is only to be done on the Lords Day?
    No. Acts 2:46; Heb. 3:13, compared with 10:25.
    Yours sincerely,
    Rev. Matthew Winzer
    Australian Free Church,
    Victoria, Australia

"Illum oportet crescere me autem minui."
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Jack K is offline. Puritanboard Graduate
    Doesn't a following of the RPW state that gathered worship is only to be done on the Lords Day?
    Does it? I'm inclined to say that'd be an example of the regulative principle run amok, especially since it's hard enough in the first place to find a direct biblical command to gather for worship on the first day of the week, the practice being inferred from indirect references.
    Jack K.
    PCA, worshiping with some fine Baptists in Colorado
    Gospel Teacher website
    Show Them Jesus: Teaching the Gospel to Kids
    3 member(s) found this post helpful.

Andres is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    WCF 21.7
    As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in his Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, he hath particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him: which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week; and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week, which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's day, and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.
    The Lord's Day is the day specifically set apart for corporate worship, however I don't see anything in Scripture and/or our Confession that limits the saints to gathering only on this day.
    Andrew Silva
    RE OPC (currently not serving)
    Dallas Reformed Presbyterian Church (RPCNA)
    North Dallas

My blog - Lose Your Life
    Follow me - Twitter

He is your friend who pushes you nearer to God. - Abraham Kuyper

torstar is offline. Puritanboard Sophomore
    Those unfortunate people who had the opportunity to hear Calvin preach every day of the week.

Kent
    URCNA
    Toronto

Backwoods Presbyterian is offline. Puritanboard Doctor
    Blog Entries
    I am struggling to understand the point of this thread.
    Rev. Benjamin P. Glaser, M. Div, ARP
    Pastor, Ellisville Presbyterian Church, ARP
    Ellisville, Mississippi

‎‎"Ministers of the Gospel, when dispensing the truths of God, must preach home to their own souls, as well as unto others. Sir's, we do not deliver truths or doctrines to you, wherein we ourselves have no manner of concern. No, our own souls are at the stake, and shall either perish or be saved eternally, as we receive or reject these precious truths which we deliver unto you. And truly, it can never be expected that we will apply the truths of God with any warmth or liveliness unto others, unless we first make a warm application thereof to our own souls. And if we do not feed upon these doctrines, and practise these duties, which we deliver to and inculcate upon you, though we preach unto others, we ourselves are but castaways." -- Ebenezer Erskine, "The Assurance of Faith", pg. 8

Deo Vindice

NaphtaliPress is offline. Administrator
    Blog Entries
    None now. Wrong presumption corrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods Presbyterian View Post
    I am struggling to understand the point of this thread.
    Chris Coldwell, Lakewood Presbyterian Church (PCA), Dallas, Texas.
    • Naphtali Press: Presbyterian & Reformed Books
    • Westminster Letter Press
    The Confessional Presbyterian Journal
    The Blue Banner Archive
    Calvin in the Hands of the Philistines: Did Calvin Bowl on the Sabbath?
    The Regulative Principle: The Scriptures are the “only infallible rule of faith and practice, no rite or ceremony ought to have a place in the public worship of God, which is not warranted in Scripture, either by direct precept or example, or by good and sufficient inference” (Samuel Miller).
    Click to get: Board Rules -- Signature Requirements -- Joining PB's Politics & Government Forum
    2 member(s) found this post helpful.